Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > distributed caching for .NET ?

Reply
Thread Tools

distributed caching for .NET ?

 
 
ask ksa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
hi,
is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
solution for .net ?
Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced

thanks anyway for your time reading that

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frans Bouma [C# MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2007
ask ksa wrote:

> hi,
> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
> solution for .net ?
> Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
> scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced
>
> thanks anyway for your time reading that


'Distributed' caching is a red-herring: you can't access a remote
object without some sort of remoting/services layer, which makes the
whole process rather 'slow' compared to utilizing caching features in
the RDBMS and re-loading the data: the data transfer protocols for for
example sqlserver are much more optimal than for example remoting or
webservices will ever be.

Add to that that you need security in your cache server, and you have
a 'solution' which isn't really bringing anything to the table.

FB

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
Microsoft MVP (C#)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ask ksa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2007
Thanks for replay
sometimes you just need to save frequently -used some query results in
cache, that's all
in open-source word many solution exists for distributed caching :
memcached, EhCache and many more. they all solve existing problem
and most of scalable application utilize the use of clustered caching
(see the flickr architecture for example )

just wanted to hear about port for .Net
i agree with you that it always be more slow than database
but when you db run on 100% cpu, selective caching can solve the day
with no price

Thanks much
Frans Bouma [C# MVP] wrote:
> ask ksa wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
> > solution for .net ?
> > Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
> > scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced
> >
> > thanks anyway for your time reading that

>
> 'Distributed' caching is a red-herring: you can't access a remote
> object without some sort of remoting/services layer, which makes the
> whole process rather 'slow' compared to utilizing caching features in
> the RDBMS and re-loading the data: the data transfer protocols for for
> example sqlserver are much more optimal than for example remoting or
> webservices will ever be.
>
> Add to that that you need security in your cache server, and you have
> a 'solution' which isn't really bringing anything to the table.
>
> FB
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
> LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
> My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
> Microsoft MVP (C#)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
Frans Bouma [C# MVP] wrote:
> ask ksa wrote:
>> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
>> solution for .net ?
>> Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
>> scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced

>
> 'Distributed' caching is a red-herring: you can't access a remote
> object without some sort of remoting/services layer, which makes the
> whole process rather 'slow' compared to utilizing caching features in
> the RDBMS and re-loading the data: the data transfer protocols for for
> example sqlserver are much more optimal than for example remoting or
> webservices will ever be.


That argumentation assumes that:
1) the database server is as cost efficient to scale as the web servers
2) the cache product only support what they call "partioned" cache
not what they call "replicated" cache
3) there are no benefits for cache management by doing it in the
application that understands the data instead of in the database
4) there are no benefits from notification

#1 and #2 are not true.

#3 and #4 are not true in most cases.

Arne

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Mullins [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007
"ask ksa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
> solution for .net ?


MemCacheD is something I know has been used by some big sites and people
have been happy with. I would imagine it would run on Windows if you setup
CygWin. There's also a Windows port at:
http://jehiah.cz/projects/memcached-win32/

There's a .Net API for it at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/memcacheddotnet/

--
Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins


 
Reply With Quote
 
RYoung
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007
That's a great explanation, clears up questions I had a couple years ago
concerning caching data in a singleton remote server.

Ron

"Frans Bouma [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> ask ksa wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
>> solution for .net ?
>> Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
>> scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced
>>
>> thanks anyway for your time reading that

>
> 'Distributed' caching is a red-herring: you can't access a remote
> object without some sort of remoting/services layer, which makes the
> whole process rather 'slow' compared to utilizing caching features in
> the RDBMS and re-loading the data: the data transfer protocols for for
> example sqlserver are much more optimal than for example remoting or
> webservices will ever be.
>
> Add to that that you need security in your cache server, and you have
> a 'solution' which isn't really bringing anything to the table.
>
> FB
>
> --
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
> LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
> My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
> Microsoft MVP (C#)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------



 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Nemtsev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007
Hello ask,

Read this http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...x.html?ca=drs-
and
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...x.html?ca=drs-

This tho patterns (Data Federation and Data Consolidation) are the first
steps and the base of the Distributed Cache.
BTW, these whitepapers will give u some new patterns for the cache http://www.tangosol.com/white-papers.jsp

Also read my post there http://laflour.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7575E2FFC19135B4!561.entry
about DataGrid (we discuss this point with Nick Malik - MS Enterprise Architect)

PS: Soon I'll post a UML diagram in my blog describiring the schema of distributed
cache

'ak> hi,
ak> is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered
ak> cache
ak> solution for .net ?
ak> Google helped me to found some (like ncache and
ak> scale-out-state-server), but they are over-priced
ak> thanks anyway for your time reading that
ak>
---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we
miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c) Michelangelo


 
Reply With Quote
 
Yevgeniy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2007

Chris Mullins [MVP] wrote:
> "ask ksa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > is anybody familiar with production-ready distributed/clustered cache
> > solution for .net ?

>
> MemCacheD is something I know has been used by some big sites and people
> have been happy with. I would imagine it would run on Windows if you setup
> CygWin. There's also a Windows port at:
> http://jehiah.cz/projects/memcached-win32/
>
> There's a .Net API for it at:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/memcacheddotnet/
>
> --
> Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C#
> http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins


Thanks for reply, Chris
Memcached is really ready-to-go solution for linux,
the problem is that win32 port is buggy ( and the project home page
warning about not using it for production )
anyway, i gave a try for win32 memcached and fixed some bugs myself ,
but still, sometimes it is just crushes

I'll try CygWin , not familiar with it and i expect some problems (note
from CygWin homepage : "Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on
Windows. You have to rebuild your application from source if you want
it to run on Windows." ), but i still cant find good distributed cache
solution for .net

Thanks again
Yevgeniy

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disable page caching without disabling caching of jpegs andstylesheets etc JimLad ASP .Net 3 01-21-2010 10:13 AM
Fragment Caching inside page caching? Troy Simpson ASP .Net 0 01-19-2004 11:57 AM
When only central CEF (not distributed CEF) is enabled on 7500-series router... ETLALAR Cisco 2 01-19-2004 10:39 AM
need &quot;70-015 Designing Implementing Distributed Applications&quot; samples vgrigor MCSD 3 08-13-2003 09:23 PM
trouble with caching or caching the trouble Hypo ASP .Net 6 08-01-2003 07:11 AM



Advertisments