Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 1100 AP to 3com PoE Switch?

Cisco 1100 AP to 3com PoE Switch?

Andrew Albert

Although I see that Cisco's specs say that the 1100 is 802.3af (power
over ethernet) compliant, I have also found a lot of sources selling
adapters to allow the 1100 to work with standard 802.3af..... What is
the real skinny?

In particular I am looking at hooking up 6 1100 access points to a
3com 2226-PWR switch... Ideally I would go for a Cisco 3550-PWR or
3560-PWR, but it isn't in the budget.

Can anybody offer any first hand experience to clarify the issue?

-=Andy

Andrew Albert

Lucked onto a page, that answered my own question (Basically no
802.3af support on the 1121 AP ...... 1130AG, yes).

-=Andy

http://www.edimax.com/html/english/products/PRI682.htm

"Most Cisco Aironet access points use inline PoE from power injectors
or Cisco powered EtherSwitches, but the Cisco Aironet 350, 1100, and
1200 series access points do not directly support IEEE 802.3af power
sources. These access points were designed before the IEEE 802.3af
power standard was ratified and must use third party products such as
PowerDsine to support IEEE 802.3af power sources.

PowerDsine offers midspan power products that allow customers to
deploy a combination of
IEEE 802.3af powered devices and non-IEEE 802.3af powered devices such
as the Cisco Aironet 1120 and 1121 access points and the Cisco Aironet
350 and 1200 series access points.

PowerDsine's 6006 and 6012 Inline Power Midspan (residing between the
Ethernet switch and the access point) supplies power to the access
point using unused pairs of wires within the Category 5 cable. This is
similar to the capacitive power detection method used by Cisco Aironet
power injectors, but the power polarity is reversed. The PowerDsine
products apply a positive voltage on pairs 4 and 5 and a negative
voltage on pairs 7 and 8. Cisco Aironet power injectors apply a
positive voltage on pairs 7 and 8 and a negative voltage on pairs 4
and 5.

PowerDsine 6006 and 6012 products comply with the IEEE 802.3af
standard, but also supports a second detection method. These products
first attempt to detect powered devices using the IEEE 802.3af
resistive power detection method, then if a powered device is not
detected, they switch to capacitive power detection mode. When using
capacitive power detection, these products can successfully power
Cisco access points provided the power pins are switched to the
correct polarity. The polarity reversal is accomplished using a
PowerDsine adapter cable referred to as a prestandard passive
splitter.

Figure 1 shows the PowerDsine Midspan hub and the prestandard passive
splitter. "