Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS SP do bad things?

VS SP do bad things?

GaryDean

In Visual Studio 2005 before the service pack was applied when I created a
new dataset it would name my tableadapter by the same name as my dataset
i.e. Franchise.xsd producted FranchiseTableAdapter. I liked that. Now
after the service pack it always names the TableAdapter Tableadapter1. Why?

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

I just checked it on two VS2005, one with SP1, one without, both can be
used to change the TableAdapter name:

1) Open the DataSet designer
2) Click on the TableAdapter header, view its properties window, change the
"Name" property there.

Would you please give me some screenshot of the issue one your side?

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

GaryDean

I was just noting that it used to default the adapter name to the same name
as the dataset and now I have to go change it.

BTW - did this service pack imporve the quality of the generated SQL by the
wizards? you may recall one of my issues where it generated erroneous
insert sql (or was it update?).
Gary

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely
"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xego4q%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gary,
>
> I just checked it on two VS2005, one with SP1, one without, both can be
> used to change the TableAdapter name:
>
> 1) Open the DataSet designer
> 2) Click on the TableAdapter header, view its properties window, change
> the
> "Name" property there.
>

> Would you please give me some screenshot of the issue one your side?
>

> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your
> reply
> promptly.

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

If you're referring to the issue here:

#TableAdapter generates bad SQL in dotnet.framework.adonet
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...icrosoft.publi
c.dotnet.framework.adonet&tid=9db42ef6-ce06-42a0-8a17-d7c42e213c96&lang=en&c
r=US&m=1&p=1

My colleague Kevin mentioned that it's reported on the connect side as:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualS...k.aspx?Feedbac
kID=111156

Here's the response by our product team:

-------------
Hi Diego, I took a look at this issue and it boils down to some confusion
regarding the TableAdapters and how ObjectDataSource works. To get this
scenario to work, you just have to perform two additional steps:
1. In your web project, click on the ObjectDataSource, and in the property
grid set its ConflictDetection property to CompareAllValues. The is
required because DataSets use optimistic concurrency for their methods.
2. In the GridView control, open the Smart Tag and click Edit Columns. In
the lower listbox ("Selected fields") select the OrderID column (because it
is the primary key), and reset its ReadOnly property back to False. This is
required because the DataSets are generated with an updatable primary key,
and the GridView doesn't realize that.

In future versions we hope to make this process a bit easier.

It's closed by "By Design", I'm afraid it's not addressed in SP1.

For a complete list of fix of Visual Studio 2005 SP1:

#List of bugs that are fixed in Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support