Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Session State problems for multiple users

Session State problems for multiple users

mcbobin

Hi,

Hopefully somebody can help me...

The development team I work in has created a large application that has

started displaying some nasty bugs which we think are being caused by
the session state.

When a single user logs in, their location ID is assigned to the
session state. This location ID persists until the browser session is
closed and no bugs appear.

However, when another user logs in, using a different location ID, the
original user's session state changes to show the new user's location
ID!

Sometimes, the location ID held within the session state 'swaps'
between users e.g. I log on as location 124 and a colleague logs on as
location 230 - suddenly, my location is 230 and my colleague's is 124!

We have checked to ensure that the session ID persists, it's just the
values of the session state that are changed.

Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks,

Rob

Mark Rae

"mcbobin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> When a single user logs in, their location ID is assigned to the
> session state. This location ID persists until the browser session is
> closed and no bugs appear.

It's really important to understand that simply closing the browser DOES NOT
tear down the session... IIS and, therefore, ASP.NET, has no knowledge
whatever of what is happening on the browser. It responds to an HttpRequest
and then provides an HttpResponse - it simply can't know what happens next,
until / unless it receives another HttpRequest...

Having said that, sessions should not under normal circumstances overlap...

How are you actually writing the session variables into the Session
object...?

mcbobin

Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for your swift response...

It's funny you should mention 'static variables' as a colleague of mine
recently blurted out the words "bloody static variables!"...

Yes, it appears that a member of the team has filled our base pages
with static variables and the removal of them has fixed our problem.

Thanks again,

Rob