Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Attachment based programming in .NET

Attachment based programming in .NET

czuvich

All,

I am wanting some advice on getting started on an application that has
to take attachments. Basically, I have an application that
creates/pulls data from MS SQL Server. With this data, the user can add
attachments that are associated with it. I am wondering what is the
best (I know that's subjective, but opinions are what I am asking for)
route to take for accomplishing this task. Here are my thoughts:

1) In the database, have a column with links separated by a semicolon,
Pro - Small storage on the database
Con - If the file is moved/modified, the database had to be updated
at the same time. Also, processing time for going through the list of
attachments.

2) In the database, just have a column that actually points to the
attachment itself, letting SQL Server load the attachment internally
(not sure if that's possible, but I know that Wiki's do it). Basically,
it would be like inserting the attachment into the database, and
letting SQL Server do it's thing.

Pro - Easy to code (hopefully)
Con - Not sure about the security... could load a malicious file...
etc..

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks all!

Convert table based webpage to css based John Dalberg HTML 11 05-29-2009 08:53 PM
n-gram based & edit distance based comparisons Ezee Java 6 07-27-2005 05:26 PM
Question: Writing text file based TestBenches vs. Waveform file based simulation. BLF VHDL 4 08-07-2004 12:44 AM
Set based vs. IOS based Jim Cisco 2 02-18-2004 09:23 PM
Software-based VERSUS hardware-based routers JohnNews Cisco 2 12-05-2003 03:00 AM

Advertisments