Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is ActiveX best option?

Is ActiveX best option?

Gustavo

Does anyone know what would be the best way to have a website have access to
the clients computer (with his permission ofcourse when ) so he can save and
upload files by the click of a webform button (without getting save as
dialogs)

Is ActiveX the best solution? Is this technology the best we should use for
running full permission code in the client?

Gustavo

bruce barker

an active/x or just a standalone program. i'd skip active/x as security
is getting tighter and they are more of a pain.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Gustavo wrote:
> Does anyone know what would be the best way to have a website have access to
> the clients computer (with his permission ofcourse when ) so he can save and
> upload files by the click of a webform button (without getting save as
> dialogs)
>
> Is ActiveX the best solution? Is this technology the best we should use for
> running full permission code in the client?
>
> Gustavo

Mark Rae

"Gustavo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is ActiveX the best solution?

If you need to support browsers other than IE, you'll not be able to use
ActiveX at all...

Generally speaking, what you're tying to achieve is going to be quite tricky
because of the security implications. However, you might consider something
like this:

http://www.utechsoft.com/products/uupload/
http://www.utechsoft.com/products/udownload/

Eliyahu Goldin

You don't need an ActiveX. Have a look at WSH - Windows Scripting Host. It
provides a very comprehensive control over local resources.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant