Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Do u think this makes sense??

Do u think this makes sense??

Developer.Man4@gmail.com

Hi all,

i've been investigating for quite a while for files that are mandatory
to be deployed to the server for an asp.net v1.1 application to run, to
make it more clear, we don't need to move the source code files, .vb
and .cs we have their assemblies deployed on the server.
i also wanted to find out if we can change default locations for some
files that are by default store on the application main folder.
i got the following results and want to make sure if it makes sense

application files mandatory
can change its default location
(if its in the application it
must be
located on the server in the
application
main or sub folder)

source code files no
------------------
(. cs and .vb)

web pages
(.asp, .aspx, .html, .htm) yes
no

global.asax no
no

global.asax.cs no
no

web.config yes
no

user control pages no
(.ascx)

webserveices no
no
(.asmx)

resources no
yes
(.res,.resx)

extra files yes
yes
(.txt, .jpg,.jpg,....)

web handlers no
yes
(.ashx)

assemblies no
yes
(.dlls)

NO OTHER FILES CAN BE FOUND ON THE SERVER

i'm using IIS 6, visual studio 2003 and asp.net v1.1, these are a must,
i.e. i can't use vs2005 or asp.net v2

i'm talking about big and complicated applications.

thanx for ur quick advice

Developer.Man4@gmail.com

Hi all,

i've been investigating for quite a while for files that are mandatory
to be deployed to the server for an asp.net v1.1 application to run, to
make it more clear, we don't need to move the source code files, .vb
and .cs we have their assemblies deployed on the server.
i also wanted to find out if we can change default locations for some
files that are by default store on the application main folder.
i got the following results and want to make sure if it makes sense

manadatory : (if its in the application it must be located on the
server in the application main or sub folder)

application files mandatory can change its default location

source code files no --
(. cs and .vb)

web pages yes no
(.asp, .aspx, .html, .htm)

global.asax no no

global.asax.cs no no

web.config yes no

user control pages no yes
(.ascx)

webserveices no no
(.asmx)

resources no yes
(.res,.resx)

extra files yes yes
(.txt, .jpg,.jpg,....)

web handlers no yes
(.ashx)

assemblies no yes
(.dlls)

NO OTHER FILES CAN BE FOUND ON THE SERVER

i'm using IIS 6, visual studio 2003 and asp.net v1.1, these are a must,
i.e. i can't use vs2005 or asp.net v2

thanx for ur quick advice

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You have two choices in 2.0.

1. Deploy everything
2. Publish the site and move the bits published to the server

If you do not want to publish source, use #2.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi all,
>
> i've been investigating for quite a while for files that are mandatory
> to be deployed to the server for an asp.net v1.1 application to run, to
> make it more clear, we don't need to move the source code files, .vb
> and .cs we have their assemblies deployed on the server.
> i also wanted to find out if we can change default locations for some
> files that are by default store on the application main folder.
> i got the following results and want to make sure if it makes sense
>
> application files mandatory
> can change its default location
> (if its in the application it
> must be
> located on the server in the
> application
> main or sub folder)
>
> source code files no
> ------------------
> (. cs and .vb)
>
> web pages
> (.asp, .aspx, .html, .htm) yes
> no
>
> global.asax no
> no
>
> global.asax.cs no
> no
>
> web.config yes
> no
>
> user control pages no
> (.ascx)
>
> webserveices no
> no
> (.asmx)
>
> resources no
> yes
> (.res,.resx)
>
> extra files yes
> yes
> (.txt, .jpg,.jpg,....)
>
> web handlers no
> yes
> (.ashx)
>
> assemblies no
> yes
> (.dlls)
>

> NO OTHER FILES CAN BE FOUND ON THE SERVER
>
> i'm using IIS 6, visual studio 2003 and asp.net v1.1, these are a must,
> i.e. i can't use vs2005 or asp.net v2
>
> i'm talking about big and complicated applications.
>

> thanx for ur quick advice

ttt.tas@gmail.com

i don't have the option for using 2.0, i can only work on 1.x

what about other files