Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Ping issues

Reply
Thread Tools

Ping issues

 
 
aiqbal@gbc.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
Hello,
I have a 2600 router that I have configured it to be a DHCP server.
This is what I have so far.

Diagram
Router e0/0 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0
======== Hub
======== --->==========
==========
| |
LAptop A Laptop B
192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2
255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0



FYI: this is in a lab enviornment

router ip address: 192.168.1.100
Laptop A: 192.168.1.1 SM: 255.255.255.0 GW:192.168.1.100
Laptop B: 192.168.1.2 SM: 255.255.255.0 GW:192.168.1.100

Both Laptops are running windows 2000 OS.

I CAN do the following successfully

Laptop A can ping the router successfully
Laptop B can ping the router successfully
Laptop A can ping itself and 127.0.0.1 successcully
Laptop B can ping itself and 127.0.0.1 successcully

PROBLEM is this
________________

Laptop A cannot ping Laptop B
Laptop B cannot Ping Laptop A
>From the router I cannot ping Laptop A or B.


Both laptops and router are on the same subnet.
ipconfig on both laptop gives me
IP address
Subnet mask
gateway.

Why cannot I ping Laptop A to B or vice versa and why is the router not
able to ping either laptops.

Do I need to put a static routes ? please help

Thanks in advance for all your help



Router

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
pkwijibo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
Sounds like you have a firewall on the laptops
that are blocking ICMP.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a 2600 router that I have configured it to be a DHCP server.
> This is what I have so far.
>
> Diagram
> Router e0/0 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0
> ======== Hub
> ======== --->==========
> ==========
> | |
> LAptop A Laptop B
> 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2
> 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
>
>
>
> FYI: this is in a lab enviornment
>
> router ip address: 192.168.1.100
> Laptop A: 192.168.1.1 SM: 255.255.255.0 GW:192.168.1.100
> Laptop B: 192.168.1.2 SM: 255.255.255.0 GW:192.168.1.100
>
> Both Laptops are running windows 2000 OS.
>
> I CAN do the following successfully
>
> Laptop A can ping the router successfully
> Laptop B can ping the router successfully
> Laptop A can ping itself and 127.0.0.1 successcully
> Laptop B can ping itself and 127.0.0.1 successcully
>
> PROBLEM is this
> ________________
>
> Laptop A cannot ping Laptop B
> Laptop B cannot Ping Laptop A
>>From the router I cannot ping Laptop A or B.

>
> Both laptops and router are on the same subnet.
> ipconfig on both laptop gives me
> IP address
> Subnet mask
> gateway.
>
> Why cannot I ping Laptop A to B or vice versa and why is the router not
> able to ping either laptops.
>
> Do I need to put a static routes ? please help
>
> Thanks in advance for all your help
>
>
>
> Router
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
aiqbal@gbc.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
Yes I do have Checkpoint firewall clients on the laptops. I did disable
them. does that help?

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
pkwijibo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
And it still doesn't work with them disabled?

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Yes I do have Checkpoint firewall clients on the laptops. I did disable
> them. does that help?
>
> Thanks
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
aiqbal@gbc.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2005
That is correct. it still does not work. I am not sure what else I can
look.
when I do show run command to see the config
under memory size it does say
no ip routing . Is this something that needs to be changed?

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
Barry Margolin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> That is correct. it still does not work. I am not sure what else I can
> look.
> when I do show run command to see the config
> under memory size it does say
> no ip routing . Is this something that needs to be changed?


Yes, but it has nothing to do with the ping problems you're having.
When you ping from PC A to PC B, the router isn't even involved.

You need to enable IP routing so that the PCs will be able to access the
Internet.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA
*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Lar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> PROBLEM is this
> ________________
>
> Laptop A cannot ping Laptop B
> Laptop B cannot Ping Laptop A
>>From the router I cannot ping Laptop A or B.

>
> Both laptops and router are on the same subnet.
> ipconfig on both laptop gives me
> IP address
> Subnet mask
> gateway.
>
> Why cannot I ping Laptop A to B or vice versa and why is the router not
> able to ping either laptops.

Check arp caches and traffic on each device, use a sniffer if required,
double check IP addresses handed out by DHCP, replace the hub.

M

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Agosta
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2005

"Mark Lar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:424493d8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > PROBLEM is this
> > ________________
> >
> > Laptop A cannot ping Laptop B
> > Laptop B cannot Ping Laptop A
> >>From the router I cannot ping Laptop A or B.

> >
> > Both laptops and router are on the same subnet.
> > ipconfig on both laptop gives me
> > IP address
> > Subnet mask
> > gateway.
> >
> > Why cannot I ping Laptop A to B or vice versa and why is the router not
> > able to ping either laptops.

> Check arp caches and traffic on each device, use a sniffer if required,
> double check IP addresses handed out by DHCP, replace the hub.
>
> M
>



can laptop ping the router?
yes?
turn off firewall on laptop



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I do ping others and viceversa but, cannot ping myself jorgeantibes Wireless Networking 0 05-15-2009 11:37 AM
VRRP : I am unable to ping the virtual address, I can only ping thebackup addresses. ATM Cisco 2 11-13-2008 09:50 PM
Can Ping Switch but Can't Ping Rtr (behind it) Bob Simon Cisco 8 01-19-2005 05:31 PM
ping ping Why gruffydd Computer Support 3 12-29-2004 05:09 PM
Can not ping myself, but can ping others =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?= Wireless Networking 6 12-26-2004 05:56 AM



Advertisments