Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > AJAX Update Panel w I.E.7 Problem

AJAX Update Panel w I.E.7 Problem

GaryDean

I have an UpdatePanel on one of my aspx pages with a ListBox, Image, and a
TextBox inside it. When an item is selected in the list box my codebehind
file displays a new picture in the image and new text in the TextBox. It
works wonderful in I.E. 6. No Postback - no extra code.

BUT... It does not work right in I.E. 7 (nor FireFox 2.0). The textbox
refreshes but the image does not refresh (however the aspect ratio of the
picture does change according to the newly selected picture.)

You can see this work with I.E.6 or fail with I.E.7 at
http://www.deanblakely.com/FamilyPhoto.aspx

What can be causing this failure in the I.E. 7 and FireFox 2.0 browsers?

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely

Mark Fitzpatrick

Some possible idea. If your pictures are pulling their filenames from the
listbox directly, the listbox values aren't properly formatted since they
have spaces in them, which is illegal. For example: 05-2003 memphis 034.jpg
is not a valid filename. 05-2003%20memphis%20034.jpg is valid. Make sure
that you're performing UrlEncoding on them. I've heard some issues with this
and IE 7 whereas IE 6 was more forgiving and did a lot of auto-correcting.

--

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an UpdatePanel on one of my aspx pages with a ListBox, Image, and a
>TextBox inside it. When an item is selected in the list box my codebehind
>file displays a new picture in the image and new text in the TextBox. It
>works wonderful in I.E. 6. No Postback - no extra code.
>
> BUT... It does not work right in I.E. 7 (nor FireFox 2.0). The textbox
> refreshes but the image does not refresh (however the aspect ratio of the
> picture does change according to the newly selected picture.)
>
> You can see this work with I.E.6 or fail with I.E.7 at
> http://www.deanblakely.com/FamilyPhoto.aspx
>
> What can be causing this failure in the I.E. 7 and FireFox 2.0 browsers?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Gary Blakely

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Gary,

I have just visited teh web link you provided and it seems when I select a
certain image(name) in the ListBox(in updatepanel), the image control
correctly displays the selected image) together with the refreshing of the
textbox. I am using IE 7 on a windows 2k3 box. Is there any other
particular factors in your test environment that can cause the behavior?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

GaryDean

Steven,
hmmm, with me and others that use the site it always fails with I.E.7 and
works with I.E.6. all of us are likely using XP.
When I access it now with I.E.6 it's from a VMWare Server 2003 image.
This complicates things. Maybe there is something to Mark FitzPatrick's
post?
Gary

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Gary,
>
> I have just visited teh web link you provided and it seems when I select a
> certain image(name) in the ListBox(in updatepanel), the image control
> correctly displays the selected image) together with the refreshing of the
> textbox. I am using IE 7 on a windows 2k3 box. Is there any other
> particular factors in your test environment that can cause the behavior?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> rights.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Gary,

Have you got an progress on this issue? Based on my former test, it seems
the image can display well when I select items in the listbox. Is there
anything else that cause the problem?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

GaryDean

I'm working this real part time now but now that I know it works for you in
I.E. 7, I don't know what to think.

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Gary,
>
> Have you got an progress on this issue? Based on my former test, it seems
> the image can display well when I select items in the listbox. Is there
> anything else that cause the problem?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> rights.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Gary,

I've just performed some further research. It seems the problem also
related to the operating system. In previous message, I said that I tested
the page you provided on windows 2003/IE7 with no problem. However, when
tested on windows xp sp2/IE7 it seems can not swtich pictures when i swtich
selected items in the listbox. Did you encounter the same behavior?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

GaryDean

Steven:
Wow! Is there an Atlas forum somewhere? Maybe I need to take this problem
to a more specialized forum?
thanks,
Gary

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply Gary,
>
> I've just performed some further research. It seems the problem also
> related to the operating system. In previous message, I said that I tested
> the page you provided on windows 2003/IE7 with no problem. However, when
> tested on windows xp sp2/IE7 it seems can not swtich pictures when i
> swtich
> selected items in the listbox. Did you encounter the same behavior?
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> rights.

GaryDean

Steven:
I removed the Atlas Updatepanel and the picture changes with I.E.7 on XP so
it's an definitely an Atlas issue.

by the way...
I'm using an image control with ImageURL set to image.aspx.
In image.aspx I have the picture in myBitmap which is a
system.drawing.bitmap
I put the picture in the image by doing:
myBitmap.Save(Response.OutputStream, ImageFormat.Jpeg);

Can you envision any reason this might not work in an Atlas - XP - I.E.7
environment Only?

--
Regards,
Gary Blakely

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply Gary,
>
> I've just performed some further research. It seems the problem also
> related to the operating system. In previous message, I said that I tested
> the page you provided on windows 2003/IE7 with no problem. However, when
> tested on windows xp sp2/IE7 it seems can not swtich pictures when i
> swtich
> selected items in the listbox. Did you encounter the same behavior?
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> rights.