Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sending large files from one app to other

Sending large files from one app to other

=?Utf-8?B?15nXldeg15kg15LXldec15PXkdeo15I=?=

Hi,
I have two asp.net applications on different networks.
One application has to call some operation/method on the other application
and pass two large files as parameters:
One file is huge xml file, the second file is big pdf file (dozens of MB).
How would you implement this?
If i will use Web Service, can i define method/operation with two
file parameters? Is there reliable mechanism for sending huge files?
Any idea or reference will be appreciated.

OHM

Why not use ftp?

"???? ???????" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have two asp.net applications on different networks.
> One application has to call some operation/method on the other application
> and pass two large files as parameters:
> One file is huge xml file, the second file is big pdf file (dozens of
> MB).
> How would you implement this?
> If i will use Web Service, can i define method/operation with two
> file parameters? Is there reliable mechanism for sending huge files?
> Any idea or reference will be appreciated.

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:31:00 -0800, wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two asp.net applications on different networks.
> One application has to call some operation/method on the other application
> and pass two large files as parameters:
> One file is huge xml file, the second file is big pdf file (dozens of MB).
> How would you implement this?
> If i will use Web Service, can i define method/operation with two
> file parameters? Is there reliable mechanism for sending huge files?
> Any idea or reference will be appreciated.

Personally i'd FTP the files and then the method would take the paths to
the ftp'd files on the server

--
Bits.Bytes
http://bytes.thinkersroom.com

Michael Nemtsev

Hello יו*י,

יג> I have two asp.net applications on different networks.
יג> One application has to call some operation/method on the other
יג> application
יג> and pass two large files as parameters:

Who is the receiver? The client or the server?

יג> One file is huge xml file, the second file is big pdf file (dozens
יג> of MB).
יג> How would you implement this?

Do u use any kind of DB? I'd suggested to look at DB to transfer data directly
between DBs.

יג> If i will use Web Service, can i define method/operation with two
יג> file parameters? Is there reliable mechanism for sending huge files?

Look at MTOM, it's rather reliable way to transfer data
http://www.codeproject.com/soap/MTOMWebServices.asp

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [C# MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche