Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Parent/Child CC In GridView

Parent/Child CC In GridView

Andrew Hayes

I have a parent page with a gridview, and a child page with a formview.

Using the solution on velocityreviews:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...ialog-box.html

I was able to create the Parent and Child Window custom controls and get
them to work correctly so that I could select a row in the GridView of the
parent page and popup a child window with the details, and when the FormView
was updated the GridView of the parent was refreshed without closing the
child.

This was by using a CommandField to perform the Select of the row, and then
clicking on the WindowOpenButton. But I don't want the user to have to
perform 2 clicks, so I replaced the CommandField with a TemplateField that
included the WindowOpenButton.

Unfortunately, while I was able to pass the DataKey to the Child form using
a URL parameter, the SelectedIndexChanged event doesn't fire as the
Javascript onclick event stops the custom control from processing the
CommandName="Select".

Any ideas on how I might solve this?

This is, the select button for a row in the GridView changes the
SelectedIndex *then* fires the Javascript "window.open"...

TIA

Andrew Hayes

The solution was to use the GridView_DataRowBind event to add a rowindex
attribute to each WindowOpenButton with the rowindex of the GridViewRow that
fired the event.

This can then be retrieved during the WindowOpenButton_Click even in order
to set the GridView.SelectedIndex.

OK. So it's a little more complex than that. I had to remove the Javascript
onclick code from the WindowOpenButton_OnPreRender event so that the
WindowOpenButton_Click would actually fire, and changed the
PostBack_WindowOpenButton() function to use the PostBackReferenceEvent for
the Page rather than the WindowOpenButton control (otherwise every time you
postback via the child window, another child window appears).

But I finally got it all to work so that clicking on the Select button of a
row in the GridView, highlights the row then opens a popup window (cannot
use modal, of course), that shows the detail in a FormView. Clicking Update
on the FormView updates the data and refreshes the GridView without closing
the child window. Clicking on the Delete button on the FormView refreshes
the GridView and closes the child window.