Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Create Pages on the fly using IHttpHandler. Need advice

Create Pages on the fly using IHttpHandler. Need advice

shapper

Hello,

In this moment I am creating all my aspx pages on my vb.code at
runtime.

It seems nonsense to have .aspx and .aspx.vb files in my projects.

I am considering creating my pages on the fly using IHttpHandler.

I already did that for delivering XML files.

Could someone advice me on this?

What are the ups and downs of doing this?

Thanks,

Miguel

Karl Seguin

I don't fully understand what you're trying to do...It seems like whatever
you are doing doesn't have an HTML/ASPX front-end component to it....

aspx files are handled by a built-in handler, called the PageHandler...it's
a relatively heavy process...it must raise a number of events (init, load,
prerender, unload are the most well known) as well as do a lot of postback
and viewstate manipulation.

If your requests aren't doing any of those, such as a RSS feed, then a
custom httphandler is typically the correct way to go. It's faster and it's
the right tool for the job.

On the flip side, you'll lose a lot of the framework laid out by the
PageHandler (which is quite a bit)..it's typically pretty obvious if you
need ASP.NET pages or not...

Karl
--
http://www.openmymind.net/
http://www.fuelindustries.com/

"shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> In this moment I am creating all my aspx pages on my vb.code at
> runtime.
>
> It seems nonsense to have .aspx and .aspx.vb files in my projects.
>
> I am considering creating my pages on the fly using IHttpHandler.
>
> I already did that for delivering XML files.
>
> Could someone advice me on this?
>
> What are the ups and downs of doing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Miguel

shapper

Hi,

Got it. I didn't know about the PageHandler part.

I was just looking for a way to solve a problem which I am fighting for
2 days:

How to set the following Nested Master Pages at runtime:

Parent.master
| ---- Child.master
| ------ Page.aspx

Yes, I know that in Page.aspx.vb I can do Me.MasterPageFile =
"~/_Child.master" on the PreInit event. However, I can't do the same on
Child.master.vb because I don't have a PreInit event there.

Do you know any article or have any code example which might help me
with this?

Thank You a Lot,
Miguel

Karl Seguin wrote:
> I don't fully understand what you're trying to do...It seems like whatever
> you are doing doesn't have an HTML/ASPX front-end component to it....
>
> aspx files are handled by a built-in handler, called the PageHandler...it's
> a relatively heavy process...it must raise a number of events (init, load,
> prerender, unload are the most well known) as well as do a lot of postback
> and viewstate manipulation.
>
> If your requests aren't doing any of those, such as a RSS feed, then a
> custom httphandler is typically the correct way to go. It's faster and it's
> the right tool for the job.
>
> On the flip side, you'll lose a lot of the framework laid out by the
> PageHandler (which is quite a bit)..it's typically pretty obvious if you
> need ASP.NET pages or not...
>
> Karl
> --
> http://www.openmymind.net/
> http://www.fuelindustries.com/
>

> "shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > In this moment I am creating all my aspx pages on my vb.code at
> > runtime.
> >
> > It seems nonsense to have .aspx and .aspx.vb files in my projects.
> >
> > I am considering creating my pages on the fly using IHttpHandler.
> >
> > I already did that for delivering XML files.
> >
> > Could someone advice me on this?
> >
> > What are the ups and downs of doing this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Miguel

shapper

I was looking one of your articles in:

http://codebetter.com/blogs/karlsegu...24/145397.aspx

When you mean page model you are talking about events such as:

Protected Sub Page_PreInit(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
EventArgs) Handles Me.PreInit
End Sub

Right? Is this what I would miss?

In IHttpHandler I would need to do something like:

AddHandler Label.Load, AddressOf Label_Load

Is this what you mean?

But would I need to do this for all events for all controls or only for
the events where I need to place some code in?

Using IHttpHandler to deliver the web pages have some advantages like
getting rid of the .aspx pages and making the web site a little bit
faster, right?
Are there any documents about doing this?

Just experimenting.

Thanks,

Miguel

shapper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Got it. I didn't know about the PageHandler part.
>
> I was just looking for a way to solve a problem which I am fighting for
> 2 days:
>
> How to set the following Nested Master Pages at runtime:
>
> Parent.master
> | ---- Child.master
> | ------ Page.aspx
>
> Yes, I know that in Page.aspx.vb I can do Me.MasterPageFile =
> "~/_Child.master" on the PreInit event. However, I can't do the same on
> Child.master.vb because I don't have a PreInit event there.
>
> Do you know any article or have any code example which might help me
> with this?
>
> Thank You a Lot,
> Miguel
>
> Karl Seguin wrote:
> > I don't fully understand what you're trying to do...It seems like whatever
> > you are doing doesn't have an HTML/ASPX front-end component to it....
> >
> > aspx files are handled by a built-in handler, called the PageHandler...it's
> > a relatively heavy process...it must raise a number of events (init, load,
> > prerender, unload are the most well known) as well as do a lot of postback
> > and viewstate manipulation.
> >
> > If your requests aren't doing any of those, such as a RSS feed, then a
> > custom httphandler is typically the correct way to go. It's faster and it's
> > the right tool for the job.
> >
> > On the flip side, you'll lose a lot of the framework laid out by the
> > PageHandler (which is quite a bit)..it's typically pretty obvious if you
> > need ASP.NET pages or not...
> >
> > Karl
> > --
> > http://www.openmymind.net/
> > http://www.fuelindustries.com/
> >

> > "shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > In this moment I am creating all my aspx pages on my vb.code at
> > > runtime.
> > >
> > > It seems nonsense to have .aspx and .aspx.vb files in my projects.
> > >
> > > I am considering creating my pages on the fly using IHttpHandler.
> > >
> > > I already did that for delivering XML files.
> > >
> > > Could someone advice me on this?
> > >
> > > What are the ups and downs of doing this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Miguel

Karl Seguin

Yes, that's what I mean.

If you have labels (or any controls) and master pages, then you don't want
to use your own handler.

Karl

--
> [...]

>> > a relatively heavy process...it must raise a number of events (init,
>> > load,
>> > prerender, unload are the most well known) as well as do a lot of
>> > postback
>> > and viewstate manipulation.
>> >
>> > If your requests aren't doing any of those, such as a RSS feed, then a
>> > custom httphandler is typically the correct way to go. It's faster and
>> > it's
>> > the right tool for the job.
>> >
>> > On the flip side, you'll lose a lot of the framework laid out by the
>> > PageHandler (which is quite a bit)..it's typically pretty obvious if
>> > you
>> > need ASP.NET pages or not...
>> >
>> > Karl
>> > --
>> > http://www.openmymind.net/
>> > http://www.fuelindustries.com/
>> >

>> > "shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Karl Seguin

I was able to solve the problem by doing hooking into the constructor for
Child.master...dunno if you'll have any side effects this way though...

public sub Child()
MasterPageFile = "Parent.master"
end sub

Pages, controls and masterpages are all class deep down...and if something
fires BEFORE PreInit, the constructor must be it

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/
http://www.fuelindustries.com/

"shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Got it. I didn't know about the PageHandler part.
>
> I was just looking for a way to solve a problem which I am fighting for
> 2 days:
>
> How to set the following Nested Master Pages at runtime:
>
> Parent.master
> | ---- Child.master
> | ------ Page.aspx
>
> Yes, I know that in Page.aspx.vb I can do Me.MasterPageFile =
> "~/_Child.master" on the PreInit event. However, I can't do the same on
> Child.master.vb because I don't have a PreInit event there.
>
> Do you know any article or have any code example which might help me
> with this?
>
> Thank You a Lot,
> Miguel
>
> Karl Seguin wrote:
>> I don't fully understand what you're trying to do...It seems like
>> whatever
>> you are doing doesn't have an HTML/ASPX front-end component to it....
>>
>> aspx files are handled by a built-in handler, called the
>> PageHandler...it's
>> a relatively heavy process...it must raise a number of events (init,
>> load,
>> prerender, unload are the most well known) as well as do a lot of
>> postback
>> and viewstate manipulation.
>>
>> If your requests aren't doing any of those, such as a RSS feed, then a
>> custom httphandler is typically the correct way to go. It's faster and
>> it's
>> the right tool for the job.
>>
>> On the flip side, you'll lose a lot of the framework laid out by the
>> PageHandler (which is quite a bit)..it's typically pretty obvious if you
>> need ASP.NET pages or not...
>>
>> Karl
>> --
>> http://www.openmymind.net/
>> http://www.fuelindustries.com/
>>

>> "shapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > In this moment I am creating all my aspx pages on my vb.code at
>> > runtime.
>> >
>> > It seems nonsense to have .aspx and .aspx.vb files in my projects.
>> >
>> > I am considering creating my pages on the fly using IHttpHandler.
>> >
>> > I already did that for delivering XML files.
>> >
>> > Could someone advice me on this?
>> >
>> > What are the ups and downs of doing this?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Miguel

“test what you fly and fly what you test” Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 06-05-2009 02:06 AM
THE FLY & THE FLY II teem DVD Video 0 12-10-2005 09:31 PM
Fly outmenu on the fly Brian Javascript 0 04-08-2005 01:34 AM
To Fly or not to fly? Should I move from Mozilla 1.5 to T-bird andF-bird? Daniel Steinberg Firefox 7 11-06-2003 11:31 AM
To Fly or not to fly? Should I move from Mozilla 1.5 to T-bird andF-bird? Daniel Steinberg Firefox 5 11-05-2003 06:23 AM

Advertisments