Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Graceful failover

Graceful failover

uofitorn@gmail.com

Hi all,
I have a question regarding graceful shutdown in load balancing web
servers. When a real server is gracefully taken out of service, the
active sessions are allowed to complete and no new sessions are
directed to the RS. I had always assumed that it meant session as in a
user's web browsing session, that the user will be allowed to continue
to access the same web server until he finishes his web browsing
session, however long that may take. But I've been informed that
graceful shutdown only allows the current layer 3 session to finish and
that the next HTTP Get request constitutes another session and hence
will be redirected to another available RS. So which is it?

Thanks for the help

aunraza

When you take a server out of service (on the LB), the load-balancer
should not pass any more traffic to it, to my knowledge. The session to
the server should break; the client would have to issue a new GET
request which will be directed to the next server based on the
load-balancing rule.

thrill5

Answer B. When you take the server out of service, any existing open HTTP
requests will finish. Any new TCP sessions will be directed to the
remaining servers. A session is a TCP session, not a browser session.

Scott

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

uofitorn@gmail.com

thrill5 wrote:
> Answer B. When you take the server out of service, any existing open

HTTP
> requests will finish. Any new TCP sessions will be directed to the
> remaining servers. A session is a TCP session, not a browser

session.

> Scott
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi all,
> > I have a question regarding graceful shutdown in load balancing web
> > servers. When a real server is gracefully taken out of service,

the

Thank you both.