Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'.

Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'.

Jon Paal

how does this get resolved ???

"Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'. "

Mark Fitzpatrick

You either grant the ASPNET user account access to the SQL database (which I
don't like to do) or you can use a connectionstring that is not set to use a
trusted connection so you can pass it a sql login username and password.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"Jon Paal" <Jon[ nospam ]Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> how does this get resolved ???
>
> "Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
> Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'. "

mc

Mark Fitzpatrick wrote:
> You either grant the ASPNET user account access to the SQL database (which I
> don't like to do) or you can use a connectionstring that is not set to use a
> trusted connection so you can pass it a sql login username and password.

If your deploying to an intranet you could also consider impersonation

Steve B.

Create an application pool in IIS with a specific account. Set your
application to use this app pool and give acess to this user to the SQL
Server db. In this scenario, you will be able to control the behaviour of
your web app, and you won't have to provide any apssword in the web.config
file.

Steve
"Mark Fitzpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> You either grant the ASPNET user account access to the SQL database (which
> I don't like to do) or you can use a connectionstring that is not set to
> use a trusted connection so you can pass it a sql login username and
> password.
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
> Mark Fitzpatrick
> Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006
>
> "Jon Paal" <Jon[ nospam ]Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> how does this get resolved ???
>>
>> "Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
>> Login failed for user 'machinename\ASPNET'. "

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> Create an application pool in IIS with a specific account.

He can't do that, Steve.

He's using IIS 5 or 5.1 if his default ASP.NET account is ASPNET,
and neither of those use Application pools. Only IIS 6.0 uses App Pools.

Mark's suggestion will work for Jon.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
news:(E-Mail Removed)...