Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET Web Site Admin tool & Custom Provider

ASP.NET Web Site Admin tool & Custom Provider

GreggTB

I have written two custom providers for our Oracle 9i database...a
Membershp provider and a Role provider. I've been testing these over
the last few days and they seem to be working well. However, when I try
to use the ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site Administration Tool in VS 2005, I get
an error when I click on the "Create User" link.

On the tool's Provider tab, I _have_ selected to use my custom
providers! Also, I do not seem to have a problem managing existing
users or creating/managing roles. Nor do I have any problems when I
programmatically create a new user using the "Membership.CreateUser()"
method. The error only seems to occur when I try to use the "Create
User" link via the ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site Administration Tool's Security
tab.

The following info is a portion of what's written to the Application
Event Log:
/**********************************/
Exception information:
Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
Exception message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not
found in the applications configuration or the connection string is
empty.
(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Con fig\machine.config
line 120)
/**********************************/

In my application's WEB.CONFIG file, I have removed the default
connection info for the "LocalSqlServer" connection.

In the computer's MACHINE.CONFIG file, I do have an entry for the
"LocalSqlServer" connection, as well as entries for the default
AspNetSqlMembershipProvider, AspNetSqlProfileProvider and
AspNetSqlRoleProvider providers. I've tried commenting out all of these
entries but then I still get an error (although a different one) when I
try to use the "Create User" link via the ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site
Administration Tool's Security tab.

Has anyone else encountered this error and know of a solution? Any
ideas why this error occurs only via the one link in the ASP.NET 2.0
Web Site Administration Tool?

I'd greatly appreciate any assistance with this issue. Thank you!