Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Anyway to tell when something was compiled?

Anyway to tell when something was compiled?

UJ

Is there a way to tell when something was compiled? (I'm trying to find a
way to keep track of what 'version' the web site is and can't find anything
that only changes when it's recompiled.)

TIA - Jeff.

mbrand@gmail.com

What version of .NET? If it's 2.0 I don't think there's any way to
tell when a website is recompiled. If it's not I think there's a way
but I'm not quite sure exactly how.
UJ wrote:
> Is there a way to tell when something was compiled? (I'm trying to find a
> way to keep track of what 'version' the web site is and can't find anything
> that only changes when it's recompiled.)
>
> TIA - Jeff.

David Longnecker

Jeff-

As far as I know, ASP.NET 2.0 (basis from there since there wasn't a specified
version) no longer 'compiles' like 1.1; the framework compiles everything
on the fly when it's requested by IIS and drops it in %systemroot\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{version}\Temp orary
ASP.NET Files\.

I'd recommend something such as a Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/)
or SourceSafe for code versioning.

-dl

---
David Longnecker
Web Developer
http://blog.tiredstudent.com

> Is there a way to tell when something was compiled? (I'm trying to
> find a way to keep track of what 'version' the web site is and can't
> find anything that only changes when it's recompiled.)
>
> TIA - Jeff.

Mark Rae

"David Longnecker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> As far as I know, ASP.NET 2.0 (basis from there since there wasn't a
> specified version) no longer 'compiles' like 1.1;

It does if you install the Web Application Project add-in and create a web
application project, or convert your web site project into one...

UJ

I've converted it to a web site project. Is there any way for me to tell
when the version has changed? If I have to, I'll end up looking at the
date/time on the .dll and keep track of that.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "David Longnecker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>> As far as I know, ASP.NET 2.0 (basis from there since there wasn't a
>> specified version) no longer 'compiles' like 1.1;

> It does if you install the Web Application Project add-in and create a web
> application project, or convert your web site project into one...

UJ

BTW - the reason for this is that I want to keep a revision history
automatically. At the moment I haven't put it in version control because the
product hasn't been delivered. Plus if I use VSS, can I get full revision
history reports that I can export to something else?

TIA - Jeff.

"UJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've converted it to a web site project. Is there any way for me to tell
> when the version has changed? If I have to, I'll end up looking at the
> date/time on the .dll and keep track of that.
>
> "Mark Rae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "David Longnecker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>>> As far as I know, ASP.NET 2.0 (basis from there since there wasn't a
>>> specified version) no longer 'compiles' like 1.1;

>> It does if you install the Web Application Project add-in and create a
>> web application project, or convert your web site project into one...

Ebbe Kristensen

UJ wrote:
> BTW - the reason for this is that I want to keep a revision history
> automatically. At the moment I haven't put it in version control
> because the product hasn't been delivered.

The time to begin using revision control is when you create the _first_
project related file. Only using revision control when delivering is
useless. But you have probably learned that the hard way already...

> Plus if I use VSS, can I
> get full revision history reports that I can export to something else?

Don't know. The version of VSS that I had the dubious pleasure of using
about eight years ago had to have its database rebuilt about once a week. I
haven't found any reasons to look at VSS since.

Ebbe

David Longnecker

The reporting in VSS 2005 isn't too shabby and can be dumped to a file or
your clipboard to be posted into a customer report. If you're using VS 2005,
you can use it's integration to add comments and such when you check in and
then report out those comments along with deltas in the code.

To Ebbe's point, not everyone is comfortable in using VSS due to past experiences,
but application aside, the concept of source and versioning control from
project start is invaluable.

To Mark's point re: the Web Application Project (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx),
good point... I'd totally forgotten about that.

-dl

---
David Longnecker
Web Developer