Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Max. OSPF Areas per Router ?

Max. OSPF Areas per Router ?

Roland Sonder

Hello,
What is the max. no of OSPF areas a router (for example C7200) can still
handle ?

Hansang Bae

Roland Sonder wrote:

> Hello,
> What is the max. no of OSPF areas a router (for example C7200) can
> still handle ?

depends.
1) how many routers are in the areas
2) stub?
3) totally stubby?
4) volatile network?
5) NPE-G1s?
6) large routing tables?

There are no absolutes in networking....

--

hsb

Hansang Bae

Roland Sonder wrote:
> I agree and I do understand your remarks. It's just a lot of
> variables I don't yet know myself. Actually I'm kind of looking for
> a guidelines to help me to make a better design evaluation for a
> particular customer. The current OSPF network is fairly unstructured
> and does not cope with new requirements such as additional backup
> links. In the new design the customer wants a particular router to
> be a member of several areas (>50). When I saw this design, I was
> just uncertain whether the router can cope with it and what platform
> this might require. So far I haven't found any area restriction just
> recommondations on how many routers one should not exceed per area.

One router that's in more than 50 areas? That's insanity. You can get
away with four areas on a 7500 even in a decent size network. But
summarization from other areas is a must. And it has to be a stable
network. What kind of people design networks that require a router to
be in 50 areas? (I'm excluding class carrier boxes like Shasta's that
can virtualize routing tables)

--

hsb

How to determine areas OSPF number limit on a 3750 pgillet Cisco 2 05-25-2007 02:55 PM
OSPF ABR for 3 Areas? Bob Simon Cisco 1 10-24-2006 02:52 PM
Scenario 4: Multi Areas OSPF David Sudjiman Cisco 0 05-29-2006 01:20 PM
OSPF external routes filtering between areas pavel.kokhan@gmail.com Cisco 1 03-21-2006 11:27 AM
is there an OSPF comman to list all ones areas? William J King Cisco 1 01-04-2005 08:22 PM

Advertisments