Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problems compiling/running ASP.NET AJAX sample pages...

Problems compiling/running ASP.NET AJAX sample pages...

celoftis

Using VS 2005:
This morning, following the instructions here:
http://ajax.asp.net/docs/overview/In...SPNETAJAX.aspx,
I installed ASP.NET AJAX on my WinXP Pro development machine. Following
that, I installed the "November 2006 CTP" and "Control Toolkit" - then
I re-booted my machine.

Next I tried to create a simple, sample page...
I have the AJAX controls in my toolbox, but when I drag on onto my page
it gets underlined - denoting a compile error. For example, when I drag
a script manager on to my page, the compile error states (NOTE: Before
dragging the script manager control on the page, it compiled and ran
w/o incident):

Error 1 Element 'ScriptManager' is not a known element. This can occur
if there is a compilation error in the Web site. C:\Documents and
Settings\...ebSites\TaskList\TodoList.aspx 4 10 C:\...\TaskList\

So, thinking my page was a problem, I created a sample ASP.NET AJAX
page from
http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ViewSample....verviewCS.aspx
and placed it on my local web server. When I navigated to my local
page, I got the error (ERROR_01) attached at the end of this message.

It appears that .NET has not found the DLLs in my "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025\"
folder. Here's a list of the ones that are there:
AJAXExtensionsToolbox.dll
Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design.dll
Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll
Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll

I'm thinking that I've missed something simple... can anyone help?

Thanks for you attention to this matter,
celoftis

<---------------------------------------ERROR_01
BELOW----------------------------------------->
Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error
required to service this request. Please review the following specific
parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ScriptManager from assembly System.Web,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.

Source Error:

Line 16: <form id="form1" runat="server">
Line 17: <div>
Line 18: <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
Line 19: <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
Line 20: <ContentTemplate>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ASP.NET\AJAX\Updatepanel.aspx Line:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
<---------------------------------------ERROR_01
ABOVE----------------------------------------->

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Did you create your project from the Visual Studio ASP.NET AJAX project
template? If so, it should create all the required references and
web.config entries. Otherwise you'll have to add them manually.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"celoftis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Using VS 2005:
> This morning, following the instructions here:
> http://ajax.asp.net/docs/overview/In...SPNETAJAX.aspx,
> I installed ASP.NET AJAX on my WinXP Pro development machine. Following
> that, I installed the "November 2006 CTP" and "Control Toolkit" - then
> I re-booted my machine.
>
> Next I tried to create a simple, sample page...
> I have the AJAX controls in my toolbox, but when I drag on onto my page
> it gets underlined - denoting a compile error. For example, when I drag
> a script manager on to my page, the compile error states (NOTE: Before
> dragging the script manager control on the page, it compiled and ran
> w/o incident):
>
> Error 1 Element 'ScriptManager' is not a known element. This can occur
> if there is a compilation error in the Web site. C:\Documents and
> Settings\...ebSites\TaskList\TodoList.aspx 4 10 C:\...\TaskList\
>
> So, thinking my page was a problem, I created a sample ASP.NET AJAX
> page from
> http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ViewSample....verviewCS.aspx
> and placed it on my local web server. When I navigated to my local
> page, I got the error (ERROR_01) attached at the end of this message.
>
> It appears that .NET has not found the DLLs in my "C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025\"
> folder. Here's a list of the ones that are there:
> AJAXExtensionsToolbox.dll
> Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design.dll
> Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll
> Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll
>
> I'm thinking that I've missed something simple... can anyone help?
>
> Thanks for you attention to this matter,
> celoftis
>
> <---------------------------------------ERROR_01
> BELOW----------------------------------------->
> Server Error in '/' Application.
>
> Parser Error
> required to service this request. Please review the following specific
> parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: Could not load type
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.ScriptManager from assembly System.Web,
> Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
>
> Source Error:
>

> Line 16: <form id="form1" runat="server">
> Line 17: <div>
> Line 18: <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
> Line 19: <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
> Line 20: <ContentTemplate>
>

> Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ASP.NET\AJAX\Updatepanel.aspx Line:
> 18

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
> ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
> <---------------------------------------ERROR_01
> ABOVE----------------------------------------->

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

you should have created an ajax project, that adds/updates the web config
to have the references to the ajax dlls.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"celoftis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Using VS 2005:
> This morning, following the instructions here:
> http://ajax.asp.net/docs/overview/In...SPNETAJAX.aspx,
> I installed ASP.NET AJAX on my WinXP Pro development machine. Following
> that, I installed the "November 2006 CTP" and "Control Toolkit" - then
> I re-booted my machine.
>
> Next I tried to create a simple, sample page...
> I have the AJAX controls in my toolbox, but when I drag on onto my page
> it gets underlined - denoting a compile error. For example, when I drag
> a script manager on to my page, the compile error states (NOTE: Before
> dragging the script manager control on the page, it compiled and ran
> w/o incident):
>
> Error 1 Element 'ScriptManager' is not a known element. This can occur
> if there is a compilation error in the Web site. C:\Documents and
> Settings\...ebSites\TaskList\TodoList.aspx 4 10 C:\...\TaskList\
>
> So, thinking my page was a problem, I created a sample ASP.NET AJAX
> page from
> http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ViewSample....verviewCS.aspx
> and placed it on my local web server. When I navigated to my local
> page, I got the error (ERROR_01) attached at the end of this message.
>
> It appears that .NET has not found the DLLs in my "C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.61025\"
> folder. Here's a list of the ones that are there:
> AJAXExtensionsToolbox.dll
> Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design.dll
> Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll
> Microsoft.Web.Preview.dll
>
> I'm thinking that I've missed something simple... can anyone help?
>
> Thanks for you attention to this matter,
> celoftis
>
> <---------------------------------------ERROR_01
> BELOW----------------------------------------->
> Server Error in '/' Application.
>
> Parser Error
> required to service this request. Please review the following specific
> parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: Could not load type
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.ScriptManager from assembly System.Web,
> Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a.
>
> Source Error:
>

> Line 16: <form id="form1" runat="server">
> Line 17: <div>
> Line 18: <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />
> Line 19: <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
> Line 20: <ContentTemplate>
>

> Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ASP.NET\AJAX\Updatepanel.aspx Line:
> 18

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
> ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
> <---------------------------------------ERROR_01
> ABOVE----------------------------------------->

celoftis

Thanks for you quick responses!

I created a "New Web Site" from the "ASP.NET AJAX CTP-Enabled Web Site"
template. Shouldn't that get the correct reference to the
"Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll"?

Being a newbie to this, how do I manually create the reference in
"Web.config"?

celoftis

celoftis

More info...

I went into my web site's "Class View" explorer, and expanded the
"Project References" tree... both "Microsoft.Web.Extensions" and
"\Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design" are listed. I am able to drill down
on "Microsoft.Web.UI.ScriptManager" and see all its methods and
properties...but I am still getting the same compile error on the
<asp:ScriptMananger... code

Further, I see the following in my "Web.config":
<compilation debug="true">
<assemblies>
<add assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<add assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design, Version=1.0.61025.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/></assemblies>
</compilation>

Seems like the compiler isnt' able to read the DLLs or something...

celoftis

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

if you are running team studio, read the readme and follow directions,
otherwise just add a reference to it like any other with the ide.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"celoftis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks for you quick responses!
>
> I created a "New Web Site" from the "ASP.NET AJAX CTP-Enabled Web Site"
> template. Shouldn't that get the correct reference to the
> "Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll"?
>
> Being a newbie to this, how do I manually create the reference in
> "Web.config"?
>
> celoftis

celoftis

That didn't help...

Master Programmer

I wouldnt waste my time learning Ajax if I were you. It will all
become obsolete very soon. Now that other "real" smart client internet
apps can be created in better ways, like Adobe Flex, the mish-mash
called Ajax will just be thrown away. Don't be led down the garden
path by the MS idiots again, Ajax is destined to go the same way as VB
6.0

The Grand Master

celoftis wrote:
> That didn't help...

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You may be right in the long term, but in the short and medium term AJAX is
here to stay. And it wasn't the "MS idiots" that popularized AJAX, it was
Google. Are they idiots too? A ton of web sites use AJAX in one form or
another these days. Are they all idiots?
AJAX is a good solution for now while other potentially better solutions
mature.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"Master Programmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I wouldnt waste my time learning Ajax if I were you. It will all
> become obsolete very soon. Now that other "real" smart client internet
> apps can be created in better ways, like Adobe Flex, the mish-mash
> called Ajax will just be thrown away. Don't be led down the garden
> path by the MS idiots again, Ajax is destined to go the same way as VB
> 6.0
>
> The Grand Master
>

> celoftis wrote:
>> That didn't help...

hophachthanhlong

To solve this problem you have to ensure to uninstall all ajax related components from your computer. Go to www.asp.net and download all the latest components. Then refererence your web application with the latest AjaxControlToolkit.dll

---
Posted via DotNetSlackers.com