Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > the dreaded WAT is not working

the dreaded WAT is not working

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

Hi folks, using ASP.net 2.0 VS 2005 and C# on XP pro

I'm using a file based ASP.net web type on my local machine

I've not had this problem before, but I started a brand new website and I
clicked on the ASP.net configuration icon in solution explorer and I get this
message

'An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again. '

when I click the link that says 'how do I use this tool' I get the message
that 'the tool has timed out'

how can I make this flaky heap of junk show me the normal 4 tabs

regards and many thanks in advance

CharlesA

Kevin Spencer

ASP.Net requires a web server running the ASP.Net ISAPI to work. It is
HTTP-Protocol-based, and can not be run as a file-based web.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Ministry of Software Development
http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

If you have little, is that your lot?

"CharlesA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks, using ASP.net 2.0 VS 2005 and C# on XP pro
>
> I'm using a file based ASP.net web type on my local machine
>
> I've not had this problem before, but I started a brand new website and I
> clicked on the ASP.net configuration icon in solution explorer and I get
> this
> message
>
> 'An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try
> again. '
>
> when I click the link that says 'how do I use this tool' I get the message
> that 'the tool has timed out'
>
> how can I make this flaky heap of junk show me the normal 4 tabs
>
> regards and many thanks in advance
>
> CharlesA

Juan T. Llibre

Did you create the membership database with the aspnet_regsql tool ?

If you have not yet created the membership database, exit the Web Site
Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create
and configure the database, and then return to the WAT to set the provider.

aspnet_regsql.exe is located in the .Net Framework directory :

Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"CharlesA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks, using ASP.net 2.0 VS 2005 and C# on XP pro
>
> I'm using a file based ASP.net web type on my local machine
>
> I've not had this problem before, but I started a brand new website and I
> clicked on the ASP.net configuration icon in solution explorer and I get this
> message
>
> 'An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again. '
>
> when I click the link that says 'how do I use this tool' I get the message
> that 'the tool has timed out'
>
> how can I make this flaky heap of junk show me the normal 4 tabs
>
> regards and many thanks in advance
>
> CharlesA

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

Kevin, are you sure about that? I seem to remember using it on a machine the
other day (not my home one) with a file based system

Juan, surely I don't have to create the database first, how does the WAT
tool know that I want to do data stuff, I might just want to change some
config type things

I'm willing to give it a go, but I thought that the WAT tool itself created
the databases in App_data and that you used aspnet_regsql to change the
location of the database

Thanks for your posts so far any further reaction to what I've said here
would be really appreciated

Regards
CharlesA

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

CharlesA wrote:
> Kevin, are you sure about that? I seem to remember using it on a machine the
> other day (not my home one) with a file based system

You can use file-based web in ASP.NET 2.0 only (not 1.1), and only from
Visual Studio, because it has a built-in development web server. You
cannot however run ASP.NET based pages/services using the file:// protocol.

So you're both right

HTH,
Laurent

--
Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

thanks Laurent,

i am indeed using http://

I moved to a local IIS based website (through a virtual dir) and there I
can't even see my default.aspx let alone use the WAT

this is the error I get

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are
visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

despite having used added in MAIN\ASPNET (main is my machine name) into the
directory security tab

I had none of these security probs in .net 1.1, now with VS 2005 I can't use
my local IIS anymore and if I try to use the WAT I'm told that it has timed
out, what am I missing (I'm at home and I'm the admin) any ideas on the
missing steps that I failed to take after installing both VS2005 with .net
2.0 and SServer 2005 on an XP pro machine?

Regards and thanks again for any help
CharlesA

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

just out of interest folks...if I go for a complete reinstall of all this (to
sort it out) what do I install first,

a) .Net2.0/Visual Studio 2005 and then SQL server 2005
b) the othe way round
c) it doesn't matter

Regards
CharlesA

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> I might just want to change some config type things

There's very little you can change in web.config using the WAT.

If that's all you want to do, change the website to http-based,
and use the ASP.NET configuration manager in the MMC.

Using the WAT for minor web.config configuration changes is spotty,
at best, since there's a lot of settings you don't have access to from the WAT tool.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"CharlesA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kevin, are you sure about that? I seem to remember using it on a machine the
> other day (not my home one) with a file based system
>
> Juan, surely I don't have to create the database first, how does the WAT
> tool know that I want to do data stuff, I might just want to change some
> config type things
>
> I'm willing to give it a go, but I thought that the WAT tool itself created
> the databases in App_data and that you used aspnet_regsql to change the
> location of the database
>
> Thanks for your posts so far any further reaction to what I've said here
> would be really appreciated
>
> Regards
> CharlesA

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> a) .Net2.0/Visual Studio 2005 and then SQL server 2005

..Net2.0, SQL Server 2005 (Express, presumably), then Visual Studio 2005

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"CharlesA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> just out of interest folks...if I go for a complete reinstall of all this (to
> sort it out) what do I install first,
>
> a) .Net2.0/Visual Studio 2005 and then SQL server 2005
> b) the othe way round
> c) it doesn't matter
>
> Regards
> CharlesA

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=

ah yes Juan, but I needed to follow some steps in a tutorial so that
eventually I can use the Membership stuff, now either my website full stop
doesn't work with IIS or my WAT doesn't work with either the built-in web
server or IIS
Regards and thanks,
Charles