Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Event sequence

Event sequence

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

You would think this list exists but I can’t find it anywhere. Is this the
correct order for these events to be called?

Global.asax Application_Start (only once)
Global.asax Application_Init (initialize for app here – can be called
multiple times)

BeginRequest
AuthenticateRequest
PostAuthenticateRequest
AuthorizeRequest
PostAuthorizeRequest
ResolveRequestCache
PostResolveRequestCache
After the PostResolveRequestCache event and before the PostMapRequestHandler
event, an event handler (a page corresponding to the request URL) is created.
PostMapRequestHandler
AcquireRequestState
Global.asax Session_OnStart (if needed)
PostAcquireRequestState
PreRequestHandlerExecute
The event handler is executed.
PostRequestHandlerExecute
ReleaseRequestState
PostReleaseRequestState
After the PostReleaseRequestState event, response filters, if any, filter
the output.
UpdateRequestCache
PostUpdateRequestCache
EndRequest (always called)

Global.asax Session_OnEnd (on timeout – always after all of the above)

Global.asax Application_Dispose (called once for each Application_Init)
Global.asax Application_End (only once)

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

It is here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178472.aspx

--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

"David Thielen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You would think this list exists but I can't find it anywhere. Is this the
> correct order for these events to be called?
>
> Global.asax Application_Start (only once)
> Global.asax Application_Init (initialize for app here - can be called
> multiple times)
>
> BeginRequest
> AuthenticateRequest
> PostAuthenticateRequest
> AuthorizeRequest
> PostAuthorizeRequest
> ResolveRequestCache
> PostResolveRequestCache
> After the PostResolveRequestCache event and before the
> PostMapRequestHandler
> event, an event handler (a page corresponding to the request URL) is
> created.
> PostMapRequestHandler
> AcquireRequestState
> Global.asax Session_OnStart (if needed)
> PostAcquireRequestState
> PreRequestHandlerExecute
> The event handler is executed.
> PostRequestHandlerExecute
> ReleaseRequestState
> PostReleaseRequestState
> After the PostReleaseRequestState event, response filters, if any, filter
> the output.
> UpdateRequestCache
> PostUpdateRequestCache
> EndRequest (always called)
>
> Global.asax Session_OnEnd (on timeout - always after all of the above)
>
> Global.asax Application_Dispose (called once for each Application_Init)
> Global.asax Application_End (only once)
>
> --
> thanks - dave
> david_at_windward_dot_net
> http://www.windwardreports.com
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../Internals.asp

will give a few more events to add to your list

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"David Thielen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You would think this list exists but I can't find it anywhere. Is this the
> correct order for these events to be called?
>
> Global.asax Application_Start (only once)
> Global.asax Application_Init (initialize for app here - can be called
> multiple times)
>
> BeginRequest
> AuthenticateRequest
> PostAuthenticateRequest
> AuthorizeRequest
> PostAuthorizeRequest
> ResolveRequestCache
> PostResolveRequestCache
> After the PostResolveRequestCache event and before the
> PostMapRequestHandler
> event, an event handler (a page corresponding to the request URL) is
> created.
> PostMapRequestHandler
> AcquireRequestState
> Global.asax Session_OnStart (if needed)
> PostAcquireRequestState
> PreRequestHandlerExecute
> The event handler is executed.
> PostRequestHandlerExecute
> ReleaseRequestState
> PostReleaseRequestState
> After the PostReleaseRequestState event, response filters, if any, filter
> the output.
> UpdateRequestCache
> PostUpdateRequestCache
> EndRequest (always called)
>
> Global.asax Session_OnEnd (on timeout - always after all of the above)
>
> Global.asax Application_Dispose (called once for each Application_Init)
> Global.asax Application_End (only once)
>
> --
> thanks - dave
> david_at_windward_dot_net
> http://www.windwardreports.com
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

That link seems to be for ASP.NET 3.0. It doesn't appear to list the actual
events. Or am I missing something?

--

"Alvin Bruney [MVP]" wrote:

> It is here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178472.aspx
>
> --
> ________________________
> Warm regards,
> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>
> [Shameless Author plug]
> Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
> The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
> www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
> Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin
>

> "David Thielen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You would think this list exists but I can't find it anywhere. Is this the
> > correct order for these events to be called?
> >
> > Global.asax Application_Start (only once)
> > Global.asax Application_Init (initialize for app here - can be called
> > multiple times)
> >
> > BeginRequest
> > AuthenticateRequest
> > PostAuthenticateRequest
> > AuthorizeRequest
> > PostAuthorizeRequest
> > ResolveRequestCache
> > PostResolveRequestCache
> > After the PostResolveRequestCache event and before the
> > PostMapRequestHandler
> > event, an event handler (a page corresponding to the request URL) is
> > created.
> > PostMapRequestHandler
> > AcquireRequestState
> > Global.asax Session_OnStart (if needed)
> > PostAcquireRequestState
> > PreRequestHandlerExecute
> > The event handler is executed.
> > PostRequestHandlerExecute
> > ReleaseRequestState
> > PostReleaseRequestState
> > After the PostReleaseRequestState event, response filters, if any, filter
> > the output.
> > UpdateRequestCache
> > PostUpdateRequestCache
> > EndRequest (always called)
> >
> > Global.asax Session_OnEnd (on timeout - always after all of the above)
> >
> > Global.asax Application_Dispose (called once for each Application_Init)
> > Global.asax Application_End (only once)
> >
> > --
> > thanks - dave
> > david_at_windward_dot_net
> > http://www.windwardreports.com
> >
> > Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

That link has a totally different list of events as they happen. I assum that
is what is happening under the covers but it is not events an app can get???

--

"bruce barker (sqlwork.com)" wrote:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../Internals.asp
>
> will give a few more events to add to your list
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> "David Thielen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You would think this list exists but I can't find it anywhere. Is this the
> > correct order for these events to be called?
> >
> > Global.asax Application_Start (only once)
> > Global.asax Application_Init (initialize for app here - can be called
> > multiple times)
> >
> > BeginRequest
> > AuthenticateRequest
> > PostAuthenticateRequest
> > AuthorizeRequest
> > PostAuthorizeRequest
> > ResolveRequestCache
> > PostResolveRequestCache
> > After the PostResolveRequestCache event and before the
> > PostMapRequestHandler
> > event, an event handler (a page corresponding to the request URL) is
> > created.
> > PostMapRequestHandler
> > AcquireRequestState
> > Global.asax Session_OnStart (if needed)
> > PostAcquireRequestState
> > PreRequestHandlerExecute
> > The event handler is executed.
> > PostRequestHandlerExecute
> > ReleaseRequestState
> > PostReleaseRequestState
> > After the PostReleaseRequestState event, response filters, if any, filter
> > the output.
> > UpdateRequestCache
> > PostUpdateRequestCache
> > EndRequest (always called)
> >
> > Global.asax Session_OnEnd (on timeout - always after all of the above)
> >
> > Global.asax Application_Dispose (called once for each Application_Init)
> > Global.asax Application_End (only once)
> >
> > --
> > thanks - dave
> > david_at_windward_dot_net
> > http://www.windwardreports.com
> >
> > Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Dave,

The article Alvin mentioned describes the life cycle and events of ASP.NET
page.

The following one has detailed describes the application & pipeline level
events and their fire sequence:

#ASP.NET Application Life Cycle Overview

Actually, Application_Start and Application_End events are only fired once
during the ASP.NET application's lifetime.

The Application.Init and Dispose event are two event specific to each
HttpApplication class(and our global.asax class which derive from
HttApplication). And for each ASP.NET request, there will has a dedicated
HttpAppliction instance associated with it, so the "Init" and "Dispose"
event fires once for each ASP.NET request.

Also, for other events listed, they also fires once in each ASP.NET
request, but they're more coupled with ASP.NET's server-side pipeline where
we can do some customization on the request.

Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear, please feel free to post
here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

Hi;

I may be missing it but I don't see in there where in the application events
the Init, SessionStart, and Dispose are called. Yes they are only called the
first/last time but if you need the Session object in an application event,
you need to know when you can assume it exists.

--

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> The article Alvin mentioned describes the life cycle and events of ASP.NET
> page.
>
> The following one has detailed describes the application & pipeline level
> events and their fire sequence:
>
> #ASP.NET Application Life Cycle Overview
>
> Actually, Application_Start and Application_End events are only fired once
> during the ASP.NET application's lifetime.
>

> The Application.Init and Dispose event are two event specific to each
> HttpApplication class(and our global.asax class which derive from
> HttApplication). And for each ASP.NET request, there will has a dedicated
> HttpAppliction instance associated with it, so the "Init" and "Dispose"
> event fires once for each ASP.NET request.
>
> Also, for other events listed, they also fires once in each ASP.NET
> request, but they're more coupled with ASP.NET's server-side pipeline where
> we can do some customization on the request.
>
> Hope this helps. If there is anything unclear, please feel free to post
> here.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Mark's informative input.

Hi Dave,

I think you don't need to care about the Init and dispolse event since
they're specific to HttpApplicationclass's instance creation and
termination rather than ASP.NET request lifecycle.

As for Session's OnStart and OnEnd, certianly it won't occur in each
requests and will fire depend on the current request's status. To further
explain it, we should start from how SessionState management is implemented
in ASP.NET, open the "web.config" in the framework folder, you'll find the
SessionState management is done through the "SessionStateModule" httpmodule
configured as below:

==============
<httpModules>
<add name="OutputCache"
type="System.Web.Caching.OutputCacheModule" />
<add name="Session"
type="System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule" />
<add name="WindowsAuthentication"
type="System.Web.Security.WindowsAuthenticationMod ule" />
<add name="FormsAuthentication"
type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModul e" />
</httpModules>
================

In the module's processing methods, it will check session's status(from
cookie or url string) and determine whether to create a new session or
reset the current session's timeout window.... You can use reflector to
insepect the methods of SessionStateModule for a thorough idea on how it
works.

Hope this helps some.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

how to iterate over sequence and non-sequence ? stef mientki Python 13 10-20-2007 10:21 AM
question about event sequence for Page_Load and Menu1_MenuItemClic =?Utf-8?B?SmF5?= ASP .Net 3 12-21-2005 07:07 PM
Event Sequence Wrong Josh ASP .Net 1 08-17-2005 11:22 AM
PostBack Event Firing Sequence Guadala Harry ASP .Net 3 08-15-2004 07:42 AM
BOOT SEQUENCE (how to change boot sequence) bird Computer Support 13 12-24-2003 02:20 AM

Advertisments