Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problems porting COM component to ASP.Net 2.0 64 bit website

Problems porting COM component to ASP.Net 2.0 64 bit website

Gregory Gadow

I am moving a classic ASP website on a 32 bit server to an ASP.NET 2.0
website on a 64 bit server. I very much need to port the Adobe Acrobat
FDF sdk to the new site, but I've run in to the dreaded "Retrieving the
COM clas factory for component with CLSID {..} failed due to the
following error: 80040154" error message. Any suggestions on what to do
next would be greatly appreciated.

The sdk has two libraries, a main one that can be registered, and a
secondary one that can not. The main library has a companion IDL file
and the secondary one has a companion .LIB file. This is what I have
done:

1. Use si.exe to create a strong key.

2. Use tlbimp.exe to create a .NET wrapper around the main library. The
wrapper includes the strong key.

3. Copy the two component libraries and their companion files to the
\Windows\SysWOW64 folder of the new server. From there, I used regsvr32
to register the main library. I then confirmed that it was listed under
HREF_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Classes. The CLSID found there
matches the one coming up in the error message.

4. Made sure that all four files had read/execute permission for local
user ASPNET.

5. Copy the wrapper library to the bin directory of the website project.

On a test 32 bit server, I can now run my page and generate a FDF file.
Doing these exact same steps on the 64 bit machine, however, causes the
page to crash on the first reference to the wrapper class:

Dim FdfAcX as FdfAcX_NET = New FdfAcX_Net.FdfApp

I have found suggestions to compile the project specifically for x86
processors rather than with the default "All CPU" setting for VS 2005. I
know where this is done with a Windows project, but I can't locate any
such option for a web project.

I am at a loss. Any suggestions on what to try next? And before you
ask... there is no 64 bit version of the Adobe Acrobat sdk, at least not
that Adobe mentions on their website.
--
Gregory Gadow