Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > web service help

web service help

ubars

Hello,

I am developing an "image server" that will perform image processing on
image files sent from many computers on a local network My concern is send
images as quickly as possible and not have the files crashing into each
other on the server. I have demonstrated sending images very quickly using
the vb.net socket class but I am wondering if a Web Service might be able to
do this also. I have looked at some Web Service examples but none of them
concern uploading large files.

Anyone able to provide some suggestions or better yet some coding examples?

Thanks

John

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The difficulty of using service for large files deals with the fact that the
binaries have to be encoded/decoded to transfer as soap. With Remoting, you
might get around this, as long as your partner is using Windows. Otherwise,
for interoperability, you are stuck either with sockets or web services.

I am not saying a web service will not work, only that it could be
problematics, as it could time out on slower connections.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!