Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how to access remote system

how to access remote system

KAMAL

hi all,
I want to access remote system files and i want to modify them from
my system using asp.net(C#.net VS2003). If a request is sent to the site i
designed , on client system (where the request came to my site) the software
has to be installed (client application to get the files of the client
system and client system information ) .
Using that software i want to access client system from my system.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kamal.

Tim_Mac

hi Kamal,
i would question whether asp.net is the best choice of technology for what
you want to do. i found it difficult to understand your post, but i will
make the following suggestions anyway:

remember that Asp.Net will never give you access to a client file system
(except cookies of course), because it is being browsed over the generally
unsecure internet. your only option with Asp.Net is for the client to upload
a file to your web server, via the FileUpload control. alternatively the
client can download a file from the server.

how are your clients distributed? you say you want them to have some
software installed, which software? if you know how your clients are, just
get them to install an FTP server on their computer, or even better, get
them to sign up for a free FolderShare account, and share the computers in
the same FolderShare account. this will allow you to search the entire file
system via the FolderShare website, and it handles the downloading of the
file.

you could also use Windows XP remote assistance:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ist/intro.mspx

beyond that, you'll have to give a more detailed description of how and why
you intend to access a client file system via a web browser (it doesn't make
much sense to me).

hope this helps
tim

KAMAL

Hi Tim_MAC

Thanks for u r response. In my project i said that software i.e a
..net developed program which runs backgroundly on clients machine. In that
we will write getting the system information,drives information etc...
Throught the window application which is installed on client machine i want
to get the client system information. Is it possible.

Tim_Mac

hi Kamal,
that's much clearer thank you.
to read the list of drives off a computer in a winforms application, use the
DriveInfo.GetDrives() method which is new in .net 2.0. The SDK description
for this method is: "Retrieves the drive names of all logical drives on a
computer".
the SystemInformation class will give you some basic information about the
computer environment.
you can also look in the System.Management Namespace which "Provides access
to a rich set of management information and management events about the
system, devices, and applications instrumented to the Windows Management
Instrumentation (WMI) infrastructure"

i hope this helps
tim

news:uXekLe8$(E-Mail Removed)...