Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > From a webservice tell if you are coming in on a secure port.

From a webservice tell if you are coming in on a secure port.

UJ

Is there a way to tell when a webservice is called whether it came in
through HTTP or HTTPS ?

TIA - Jeff.

Q. John Chen

The Request object has an IsSecureConnection property.

UJ wrote:
> Is there a way to tell when a webservice is called whether it came in
> through HTTP or HTTPS ?
>
> TIA - Jeff.

UJ

I tried that but Request doesn't seem to be defined. When I attempt to
reference it, it says 'Type or namespace Request could not be found.'

Is it not defined for web services?

"Q. John Chen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The Request object has an IsSecureConnection property.
>

> UJ wrote:
>> Is there a way to tell when a webservice is called whether it came in
>> through HTTP or HTTPS ?
>>
>> TIA - Jeff.

Q. John Chen

My mistake. Now I know what you meant - you want detect what channel is
used in your web service method.

I don't think you can do this. Web service is at a higher layer over
the transport layer such as HTTP. It can be over other tranport layer
(https for example). Maybe other, if any. It defeat it's purpose if you
have to care what mechnism is used to tranfer the data.

If your data is of critical information - such as credit card, etc. you
make it available only through SSL. You can set it up through IIS. I
just don't understand why want do this.