Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET 2.0 Localization effects on cookies and query strings

ASP.NET 2.0 Localization effects on cookies and query strings

=?Utf-8?B?VFZESlI=?=

Hi, I haven't had much luck in finding anything on this subject matter. I
have a decent understanding of localization techinques but am not quite sure
about some of the more simple things related to it. For example, say a user
is in china, do they enter the english version of the url to go to the site?
Say www.mysite.cn ? or do they enter the url with chinese characters? Can i
read and write a cookie to their system using a english value for the cookie?
Such as anonymousid = 1234? Also, if i have a gridview with a hyperlink
column that passes a ID with the querystring, like
www.mysite.cn/details.aspx?ID=12, will that be still the same for all
languages?
Thanks
--
TVDJR

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

From ASP.NET point of view, you normally localize your web site using
resource in which case you have one single web site for users from differnt
countries. For example:

#Localization of the ASP.NET login control
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rk.aspnet.webc
ontrols/browse_thread/thread/6fb7e039204dc7d2/

All you have to do is install the language packs and use
'UICulture="auto"', then depending on your users' client browser settings,
the same web page will be displayed in different languages.

Also, other languages such as Chinese are compatible with English, which
means read and write a cookie to their system using English value will be
OK. As for the querystring, I believe browser will encode it using UTF-8,
which means you can safely use it to pass values even in other languages.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

I am interested in this issue. Would you mind letting me know the result of
the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.
I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support