Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > The name 'UserName' does not exist in the current context"?

Reply
Thread Tools

The name 'UserName' does not exist in the current context"?

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2006
Hi, I am getting a strange error. Last night when I left work this was
working perfectly. This morning when I try to run this code in VS2005, it
comes up with an error saying "The name 'UserName' does not exist in the
current context". I don't know what to do about it. The field is there. It
worked yesterday. Any ideas?


HTML CODE:
<%@ Master Language="C#" EnableTheming="false"
AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="mp_Main.master.cs" Inherits="mp_Main" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head runat="server">
<title>My Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/g-styles.css" />
</head>
<body>
<form id="frmMain" runat="server">
<asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="dsMySiteMap" runat="server"
ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="MainMapProvider" />
<div id="g-wrapper">
<div id="h-wrapper">
<div id="h-head">
<div class="l-area">
<div class="l-column">
<div class="f-label">user name</div>
<div class="r-field" id="Div1">
<div class="f-field-left"></div>
<div class="f-field-center">
<asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server"
CssClass="f-field"></asp:TextBox>
</div>
<div class="f-field-right"></div>
</div>
etc...

CODE BEHIND:
....
protected void btnLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
string sError = "";

if (UserName.Text == "")
{
sError = "True";
}
etc...


Thanks,
Michael
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Fitzpatrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2006
There are a couple issues that could be happening. It could be that the
build of the page/site has failed without you knowing it so therefore when
it's executing the code the object isn't getting connected properly because
it doesn't know about it really (since the build process failed). Give a
quick rebuild and see if any errors pop up

Another thing could be the designer.cs file didn't update with the
information on the protected members (in the web application project).

See if it's able to work with this.UserName. Perhaps it's getting it
confused with a username property that could be available in one of the
namespaces (this one's a shot in the dark though).

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006


"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I am getting a strange error. Last night when I left work this was
> working perfectly. This morning when I try to run this code in VS2005, it
> comes up with an error saying "The name 'UserName' does not exist in the
> current context". I don't know what to do about it. The field is there.
> It
> worked yesterday. Any ideas?
>
>
> HTML CODE:
> <%@ Master Language="C#" EnableTheming="false"
> AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="mp_Main.master.cs" Inherits="mp_Main" %>
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>
> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
> <head runat="server">
> <title>My Page</title>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/g-styles.css" />
> </head>
> <body>
> <form id="frmMain" runat="server">
> <asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="dsMySiteMap" runat="server"
> ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="MainMapProvider" />
> <div id="g-wrapper">
> <div id="h-wrapper">
> <div id="h-head">
> <div class="l-area">
> <div class="l-column">
> <div class="f-label">user name</div>
> <div class="r-field" id="Div1">
> <div class="f-field-left"></div>
> <div class="f-field-center">
> <asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server"
> CssClass="f-field"></asp:TextBox>
> </div>
> <div class="f-field-right"></div>
> </div>
> etc...
>
> CODE BEHIND:
> ...
> protected void btnLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
> {
> string sError = "";
>
> if (UserName.Text == "")
> {
> sError = "True";
> }
> etc...
>
>
> Thanks,
> Michael



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2006
Mark,
thank you for the reply. First I cannot build the project without hitting
the error. The only way I have been able to build it is to comment out my
code. If I run the application in debug mode, and then when I get the error
just say to run the last good build I just say yes, it runs fine and also
hits all my new code as well as runs fine through the code that is suppose to
be giving the error. hmmm
Secondly, I tried what you said about the "this.UserName" but it did not
make any difference.

Any other thoughts?
Michael.

"Mark Fitzpatrick" wrote:

> There are a couple issues that could be happening. It could be that the
> build of the page/site has failed without you knowing it so therefore when
> it's executing the code the object isn't getting connected properly because
> it doesn't know about it really (since the build process failed). Give a
> quick rebuild and see if any errors pop up
>
> Another thing could be the designer.cs file didn't update with the
> information on the protected members (in the web application project).
>
> See if it's able to work with this.UserName. Perhaps it's getting it
> confused with a username property that could be available in one of the
> namespaces (this one's a shot in the dark though).
>
> --
> Hope this helps,
> Mark Fitzpatrick
> Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006
>
>
> "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I am getting a strange error. Last night when I left work this was
> > working perfectly. This morning when I try to run this code in VS2005, it
> > comes up with an error saying "The name 'UserName' does not exist in the
> > current context". I don't know what to do about it. The field is there.
> > It
> > worked yesterday. Any ideas?
> >
> >
> > HTML CODE:
> > <%@ Master Language="C#" EnableTheming="false"
> > AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="mp_Main.master.cs" Inherits="mp_Main" %>
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> >
> > <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
> > <head runat="server">
> > <title>My Page</title>
> > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/g-styles.css" />
> > </head>
> > <body>
> > <form id="frmMain" runat="server">
> > <asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="dsMySiteMap" runat="server"
> > ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="MainMapProvider" />
> > <div id="g-wrapper">
> > <div id="h-wrapper">
> > <div id="h-head">
> > <div class="l-area">
> > <div class="l-column">
> > <div class="f-label">user name</div>
> > <div class="r-field" id="Div1">
> > <div class="f-field-left"></div>
> > <div class="f-field-center">
> > <asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server"
> > CssClass="f-field"></asp:TextBox>
> > </div>
> > <div class="f-field-right"></div>
> > </div>
> > etc...
> >
> > CODE BEHIND:
> > ...
> > protected void btnLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
> > {
> > string sError = "";
> >
> > if (UserName.Text == "")
> > {
> > sError = "True";
> > }
> > etc...
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Fitzpatrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2006
Something else to try, open the master page, then switch back to design view
from html view. VS.Net has the nasty habbit of not noticing controls until
the page has been put into design view. Sometimes just toggling between the
views adds the appropriate reference and it will then work.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006





"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
> thank you for the reply. First I cannot build the project without hitting
> the error. The only way I have been able to build it is to comment out my
> code. If I run the application in debug mode, and then when I get the
> error
> just say to run the last good build I just say yes, it runs fine and also
> hits all my new code as well as runs fine through the code that is suppose
> to
> be giving the error. hmmm
> Secondly, I tried what you said about the "this.UserName" but it did not
> make any difference.
>
> Any other thoughts?
> Michael.
>
> "Mark Fitzpatrick" wrote:
>
>> There are a couple issues that could be happening. It could be that the
>> build of the page/site has failed without you knowing it so therefore
>> when
>> it's executing the code the object isn't getting connected properly
>> because
>> it doesn't know about it really (since the build process failed). Give a
>> quick rebuild and see if any errors pop up
>>
>> Another thing could be the designer.cs file didn't update with the
>> information on the protected members (in the web application project).
>>
>> See if it's able to work with this.UserName. Perhaps it's getting it
>> confused with a username property that could be available in one of the
>> namespaces (this one's a shot in the dark though).
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>> Mark Fitzpatrick
>> Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006
>>
>>
>> "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi, I am getting a strange error. Last night when I left work this was
>> > working perfectly. This morning when I try to run this code in VS2005,
>> > it
>> > comes up with an error saying "The name 'UserName' does not exist in
>> > the
>> > current context". I don't know what to do about it. The field is
>> > there.
>> > It
>> > worked yesterday. Any ideas?
>> >
>> >
>> > HTML CODE:
>> > <%@ Master Language="C#" EnableTheming="false"
>> > AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="mp_Main.master.cs" Inherits="mp_Main"
>> > %>
>> >
>> > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>> >
>> > <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
>> > <head runat="server">
>> > <title>My Page</title>
>> > <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/g-styles.css" />
>> > </head>
>> > <body>
>> > <form id="frmMain" runat="server">
>> > <asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="dsMySiteMap" runat="server"
>> > ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="MainMapProvider" />
>> > <div id="g-wrapper">
>> > <div id="h-wrapper">
>> > <div id="h-head">
>> > <div class="l-area">
>> > <div class="l-column">
>> > <div class="f-label">user name</div>
>> > <div class="r-field" id="Div1">
>> > <div class="f-field-left"></div>
>> > <div class="f-field-center">
>> > <asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server"
>> > CssClass="f-field"></asp:TextBox>
>> > </div>
>> > <div class="f-field-right"></div>
>> > </div>
>> > etc...
>> >
>> > CODE BEHIND:
>> > ...
>> > protected void btnLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
>> > {
>> > string sError = "";
>> >
>> > if (UserName.Text == "")
>> > {
>> > sError = "True";
>> > }
>> > etc...
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Michael

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"the name <some control> does not exist in the current context" avecreep ASP .Net 0 08-05-2008 07:28 AM
The name 'Container' does not exist in the current context Peter Morris ASP .Net 2 03-17-2008 05:57 PM
The name <name> does not exist in the current context Montand ASP .Net 1 02-20-2008 08:09 AM
The name 'blMessages' does not exist in the current context J055 ASP .Net 3 01-10-2007 11:00 AM
The name 'Container' does not exist in the current context Arjen ASP .Net 1 08-21-2006 07:14 PM



Advertisments