Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > multiple framework versions and performance

multiple framework versions and performance

dinosaur8000@yahoo.com

Hi,
I'm starting to introduce .NET Framework 2.0 into some of my projects,
and I'd like some advice on best practices for running
multiple-framework-version code within a web application.

My current system consists of...

Built with Framework 1.1:
(a) External web application (ASP.NET)
(b) Internal Administrative web application (ASP.NET)
(c) class library of business logic/db access code (VB.NET)
(d) Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll, used by my business logic
code for database access.

I've just starting converting my Internal Administrative web
application (b) to .NET Framework 2.0, to make use of some of the new
features (ATLAS, etc.).

- Does it make sense to convert my business logic class library (and/or
Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll) to Framework 2.0?
- Are there any performance gains to be had by compiling all my DLLs
with the same Framework version?
- Will a v2.0 class library work with my v1.1 web application? I've
been getting IIS server errors whenever I introduced any v2.0 code into
the application domain of the v1.1 projects.

I ask because my new Framework v2.0 web application "feels" a bit more
sluggish in some places. I wondered if this was due to it needing to
utilize a separate VM(?) for the v1.1 components I'm using. Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice,
Frank

sloan

I'll address what I can:

#1. //Quote (d) Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll, used by my business
logic
code for database access. // End Quote
This was the Sql Server only version. Since that release, there has been a
newer "EnterpriseLibrary" release.
There is a 1.1 version of the EnterpriseLibrary, AND a 2.0 version of the
EnterpriseLibrary.

// Quote"used by my business logic code for database access."// End Quote
Not to nit pick, but that file is a ~helper to your own DataAccessLayer, not
a substitute for it.
Thus its name : SQLHelper.

See
5/24/2006 Custom Objects/Collections and Tiered Development
at
http://sholliday.spaces.live.com/blog/

// QuoteWill a v2.0 class library work with my v1.1 web application?// End
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. If your 2.0 code relies on an object
from the 2.0 library, the 1.1 cannot use it.

// QuoteDoes it make sense to convert my business logic class library
(and/or
> Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll) to Framework 2.0?// End Quote

That's a judgment call. If you're business logic is "pure", then an upgrade
shouldn't be that hard.
You need to find the deprecated 1.1 list and compare.

The ApplicationBlock, see earlier comment about the EnterpriseLibrary

//Quote I ask because my new Framework v2.0 web application "feels" a bit
more sluggish in some places.// End Quote
I agree while in development mode, but compiled code, I dont' get that same
feel.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...