Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > EtherChannel over 1GB

EtherChannel over 1GB

imayroam

Hi.

I have 2 6509 switches, and I want to create an etherchannel between
the two.
Both switches have 10/100/1000 modules.
I tried creating a channel using just 2 ports per switch, but it came
back saying that it would only run at 1GB.
Is this the maximum I can get out of it?

Thanks

Pete.

Arnold Nipper

On 09.03.2005 09:48 imayroam wrote

> Hi.
>
> I have 2 6509 switches, and I want to create an etherchannel between
> the two.
> Both switches have 10/100/1000 modules.
> I tried creating a channel using just 2 ports per switch, but it came
> back saying that it would only run at 1GB.
> Is this the maximum I can get out of it?

Actually 1GB is the maximum you can get ouf GEC. This corresponds to
8Gbps which is the maximum of 8 links you can channel.

Please observe also that due to the hashing algorithm the achievable
bandwidth may be somewhat lover than the sum of all links. IIRC you have:

2 GE: 2.0 Gbps
3 GE: 2.7 Gbps
4 GE: 4.0 Gbps
5 GE: 4.0 Gbps
6 GE: 4.0 Gbps
7 GE: 4.0 Gbps
8 GE: 8.0 Gbps

Arnold
--
Arnold Nipper, AN45

Imayroam

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've just found a note on a Cisco doc, that says:
The WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support
more than 1 Gbps of traffic per EtherChannel
And guess what, I'm using those cards!

I guess then I need to create a couple of etherchannels, and assign to
different VLAN's, to get increased performance.

Thanks

Pete.

Ivan Ostreš

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Hi Arnold,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> I've just found a note on a Cisco doc, that says:
> The WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6148V-GE-TX switching modules do not support
> more than 1 Gbps of traffic per EtherChannel
> And guess what, I'm using those cards!
>
> I guess then I need to create a couple of etherchannels, and assign to
> different VLAN's, to get increased performance.

If you get just 1Gig per etherchanel and you gave 10/100/1000
interfaces, why creating etherchannels at all?

--
-Ivan.

Imayroam

Hi Ivan,

I wanted to get redundancy in the link between the switches, and a bit
better speed than 1GB if I could.

Thanks

Pete.