Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 2610 and ADSL WIC-1

Cisco 2610 and ADSL WIC-1

Chris Westhorpe

Hi All,

I have a Cisco 2621 to which I'm planning to add a ADSL-WIC1 card which
will provide access to a number of alternate traffic routes.

The router doesn't currently see lots of traffic and I expect this to
remain unchanged for quite some time.

The question that I have is this, what is the minimum IOS requirement
(version and feature set) which supports this WIC card ? And will this
upgrade require me to upgrade the memory from the default 16 MB to 32 MB ?

Thanking you in advance,

Chris Westhorpe

BradReeseCom

Hi Chris,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Software Selector:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/servlet/index

The Cisco IOS Software Selector finds the right Cisco IOS software and
the amount of memory you need to run the Cisco IOS features you want to
run on your Cisco platform.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.ComŽ Cisco Resource Center
United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
Website: http://www.BradReese.Com/

Chris Westhorpe

BradReeseCom wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> You may wish to investigate the Cisco IOS Software Selector:
>
> http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/servlet/index
>
> The Cisco IOS Software Selector finds the right Cisco IOS software and
> the amount of memory you need to run the Cisco IOS features you want to
> run on your Cisco platform.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brad Reese
> BradReese.ComŽ Cisco Resource Center
> United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
> U.S. Toll Free: 877-549-2680
> International: 828-277-7272
> Fax: 775-254-3558
> Website: http://www.BradReese.Com/

Hi Brad (and others),

Thank you for your prompt reply, I checked that link and the IOS I
require is a 12.3 with a IP/H323 PLUS BASIC feature set. Unfortunatly I
do not currently have a valid Cisco subscription so I can't find out the
memory requirements for my hardware.

If the image name is
Image Name (Dram/Flash) : c2600-is3x-mz.12.3-12a (64/16)
and a
"show hardware" on the router shows the router as
cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 56320K/9216K bytes
of memory
.... and ...
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Would I be right in assuming that this image would work on my hardware
without any hardware upgrades?

Regards,

Chris Westhorpe

John Smith

> Hi Brad (and others),
>
> Thank you for your prompt reply, I checked that link and the IOS I require
> is a 12.3 with a IP/H323 PLUS BASIC feature set. Unfortunatly I do not
> currently have a valid Cisco subscription so I can't find out the memory
> requirements for my hardware.
>
> If the image name is
> Image Name (Dram/Flash) : c2600-is3x-mz.12.3-12a (64/16)
> and a
> "show hardware" on the router shows the router as
> cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 56320K/9216K bytes of
> memory
> ... and ...
> 16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
>
> Would I be right in assuming that this image would work on my hardware
> without any hardware upgrades?
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Westhorpe

I was unable to find any IOS that would work with 48meg ram when I got an
ADSL-WIC. I had to upgrade. Fortunatly 3rd party 32meg dram will only put
you back about $18. I've had good experiences with www.ssmemory.com

Regards
Paul

Chris Westhorpe

John Smith wrote:
>>Hi Brad (and others),
>>
>>Thank you for your prompt reply, I checked that link and the IOS I require
>>is a 12.3 with a IP/H323 PLUS BASIC feature set. Unfortunatly I do not
>>currently have a valid Cisco subscription so I can't find out the memory
>>requirements for my hardware.
>>
>>If the image name is
>>Image Name (Dram/Flash) : c2600-is3x-mz.12.3-12a (64/16)
>>and a
>>"show hardware" on the router shows the router as
>>cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x600) with 56320K/9216K bytes of
>>memory
>>... and ...
>>16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
>>
>>Would I be right in assuming that this image would work on my hardware
>>without any hardware upgrades?
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Chris Westhorpe
>>

> I was unable to find any IOS that would work with 48meg ram when I got an
> ADSL-WIC. I had to upgrade. Fortunatly 3rd party 32meg dram will only put
> you back about $18. I've had good experiences with www.ssmemory.com
>
> Regards
> Paul

Hi Paul,

I just want to check that I have this right before I try and arrange
purchase. I CAN get the image to fit on 16 MB of ROM, but I will need to
upgrade my RAM for this version of the IOS (to say 96MB).

Regards,

Chris

Boot ROM chip required to upgrade both a Cisco 2610 and a Cisco 2620 router to support 32 megs+ flash and more than 64 megs RAM Mike Rahl Cisco 1 06-14-2007 05:33 PM
Correct IOS for 2610 & 2620 ADSL WIC support Watt Cisco 0 10-13-2005 01:29 PM
Cisco 2610 2 x Ethernet ports & an ADSL Modem mel Cisco 1 04-04-2004 12:46 AM
WIC ADSL AND CISCO 2610 Andrea Cisco 1 11-10-2003 07:32 PM
connecting a Cisco 2610 to a Cisco PIX Firewall paul Cisco 1 11-10-2003 04:48 PM

Advertisments