Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can I populate a GridView with a LinkButton?

Can I populate a GridView with a LinkButton?

jm

I have a Gridview with a LinkButton. The button has text from my
database. It is not the datakey of the database, just free form text.
I want to populate another gridview based upon the data in my
linkbutton (which comes from my Eval).

If I do this as a hyperlink with querystring instead of a linkbutton,
everythings works. My ObjectDataSource was modified to look for a
querystring and it works.

If I do the same thing witha LinkButton and set my ObjectDataSource to
use a FormField, it never sees teh LinkButton's value (it is not in the
forms collection via trace).

I'm trying to see fundamentally what how I am supposed to design a
form.

I have used the stock "select" and selectedIndex to populate a grid,
where the ods can get the selectedValue, etc. Know how to use a
querystring and so on.

I'm sure I can add an event to the GridView in question and populate a
details GridView by means of coding, but again, is that the only way to
do it? I don't want to abandon the proper way to do things because of
my lack of knowledge.

Thank you.