Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > (v2003) Datagrid Dropdownlist Edit Problems

(v2003) Datagrid Dropdownlist Edit Problems

bh

I'm trying to edit data in a datagrid through a dropdown list with different
id/text values. The problem comes in when I click the edit button & nothing
appears to be happening. Did I do something wrong in the EditItemTemplate
or should I be binding, somehow, separately in the vb code? Please view my
code, below, and the notes in green for clarification of what I've done, and
what is/is not working, here. Thanks in advance.

<aspataGrid id="dgItems" runat="server" CssClass="tablestandardsettings"
BorderColor="Navy" AutoGenerateColumns="False">

<Columns>

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Available Items">

<ItemTemplate> 'This works

<asp:Label
id="lbItem" runat="server" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
"ItemName") %>' />

</ItemTemplate>

<EditItemTemplate> 'This
does not work

<aspropDownList
id="cboItem" runat="server"

DataSource='<%# dvItems %>'

DataTextField="ItemName"

DataValueField="ItemID">

</aspropDownList>

</EditItemTemplate>

</asp:TemplateColumn>

<asp:EditCommandColumn ButtonType="LinkButton" UpdateText="OK"
CancelText="Cancel" EditText="Edit" />

<asp:ButtonColumn Text="Delete" CommandName="Delete"/>

</Columns>

</aspataGrid>

'----------------------------------------------------------

'I bind & display the datagrid here, when a user checks a

'box to maintain the items - THIS PART WORKS

'The grid is displayed, & the items show in the item column

'----------------------------------------------------------

Private Sub chkItems_CheckedChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e
As System.EventArgs) Handles chkItems.CheckedChanged

If Me.chkItems.Checked Then

Me.BindItemsToGrid()

Me.pnlItemMaintenance.Visible = True

Else

Me.pnlItemMaintenance.Visible = False

End If

End Sub

'----------------------------------------------------------

'However, when edit is selected, the dataview is populated,

'but the row never opens in edit mode (the drop-down list

'and Update/Cancel Buttons are not displayed/opened).

'----------------------------------------------------------

Private Sub dgItems_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As _

System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs ) Handles
dgItems.EditCommand

BindItemsDropDownList() 'Populates dvItems - This works

Dim lblItemLabel As Label = e.Item.FindControl("lblItem")

Session("OldItem") = lblItemLabel.Text

'----------------------------------------------------------

'Tracing accurately shows information retrieved from the Dataview,

'That should be bound to the data grid's dropdownlist

'----------------------------------------------------------

Trace.Write("Current Item: " & Session("OldItem"))

Trace.Write("ID: " & CStr(dvItems.Table.Rows(e.Item.ItemIndex)("ItemID" )))

Trace.Write("Item: " &
CStr(dvItems.Table.Rows(e.Item.ItemIndex)("ItemNam e")))

'----------------------------------------------------------

'HERE ARE THE TROUBLESOME PARTS:

'----------------------------------------------------------

'1) Setting the properties of the actual cboItem

'dropdownlist in the grid: The following 2 lines generate

'an instantiation error, but if I create an instance, then

'it's separate from the actual item in the grid.

'

'Dim cboItemList As DropDownList = e.Item.FindControl("cboItem")

'cboItemList.SelectedItem.Text = lblItemLabel.Text

'2) Row never opens for editing (even with above 2 lines

' removed):

Me. dgItems.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex

End Sub