Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > "copy running-config startup-config" simultaneously

"copy running-config startup-config" simultaneously

vstots@gmail.com

Hei all.

I'm trying to write a script that would change Cisco user passwords.
After issuing the "username $user_name password $new_password" command,
I'm copying the running-config over the startup-config, so the change
would be written to the nvram.

The problem is, that this script might be executed a number of times
simultaneously, for different users.

Should this be a problem?
What might the consequences of executing "copy running-config
startup-config" a number of times simultaneously be?

Any help or directions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

zukque@gmail.com

Hei you..
Try AAA
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800ca7a7.html

> Hei all.
>
> I'm trying to write a script that would change Cisco user passwords.
> After issuing the "username $user_name password $new_password"

command,
> I'm copying the running-config over the startup-config, so the change
> would be written to the nvram.
>
> The problem is, that this script might be executed a number of times
> simultaneously, for different users.
>
> Should this be a problem?
> What might the consequences of executing "copy running-config
> startup-config" a number of times simultaneously be?
>
> Any help or directions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

John Smith

i've recently written a perl script to do the same thing - well it does a
'write mem' anyway... one problem i ran into during testing was while i
was in a router waiting for the script to execute, i kept doing a 'show
startup' to check the last time it was written to nvram. well, since i
was accessing it at the same time as the script was (at least at one
point), nvram became corrupt and could no longer save the config to
memory. I was getting a specific error each time after that when i issued
a 'show start' or 'wr mem' but i forget what it said exactly - something
like "out of memory in nvram" or something along those lines.
in short, my advice to you, is to test your script on a non-production
router. it is a documented problem when multiple 'users' are trying to
access nvram.

good luck. if you could, will you post back here if you
experience the same problem.

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 06:00:51 -0800, vstots wrote:

> Hei all.
>
> I'm trying to write a script that would change Cisco user passwords.
> After issuing the "username $user_name password $new_password" command,
> I'm copying the running-config over the startup-config, so the change
> would be written to the nvram.
>
> The problem is, that this script might be executed a number of times
> simultaneously, for different users.
>
> Should this be a problem?
> What might the consequences of executing "copy running-config
> startup-config" a number of times simultaneously be?
>
> Any help or directions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

vstots@gmail.com

Hi.
Thank you both for the replies.

I actually think I already have encountered the same problem.
I couldn't pin-point the exact cause, but I guessed it had something to
do with multiple-concurrent access to nvram.
After a couple of script executions, the router would not boot anymore,
and display an error message about not being to able to load boot image
into memory, instead.

By the way, when you say "it is a documented problem when multiple
'users' are trying to
access nvram." - where did you find it documented? I couldn't find it
anywhere.

Thanks.

Hansang Bae

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hei all.
>
> I'm trying to write a script that would change Cisco user passwords.
> After issuing the "username $user_name password $new_password"
> command, I'm copying the running-config over the startup-config, so
> the change would be written to the nvram.
>
> The problem is, that this script might be executed a number of times
> simultaneously, for different users.
>
> Should this be a problem?
> What might the consequences of executing "copy running-config
> startup-config" a number of times simultaneously be?
>
> Any help or directions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

You'd get an error message saying that NVRAM is busy.

--

hsb