Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Configuring the Cassini Web Server

Configuring the Cassini Web Server

NonNB

Apols for the post here, but there is no public.inetserver.cassini

Is there a way to configure the cassini / ASP NET Development web
server:
1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?
2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?

I need to test some client side SOAP calls

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

NonNB wrote:
> Apols for the post here, but there is no public.inetserver.cassini
>
> Is there a way to configure the cassini / ASP NET Development web
> server:
> 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?
> 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?
>
> I need to test some client side SOAP calls
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stuart

About Cassini itself, I don't know, but everything you mention here can
easily be done by adding a virtual folder in IIS. This is how I usually
proceed. Debugging can be done by attaching the debugger to the ASPNET
process (or the working process on Windows Server 2003).

HTH,
Laurent
--
Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

David Wang

Cassini is a test server written by the ASP.Net team. It has no
relation to IIS.

I suggest asking your question to an ASP.Net-specific support group,
such as www.asp.net Forums.

Personally, I would just download the code to Cassini and modify it to
peg the port and remove the localhost restriction.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
//

NonNB wrote:
> Apols for the post here, but there is no public.inetserver.cassini
>
> Is there a way to configure the cassini / ASP NET Development web
> server:
> 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?
> 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?
>
> I need to test some client side SOAP calls
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stuart

Lou Zher

1. The port can be controlled, but it's a function of the thing that starts
cassini (now called Visual Studio Development Server) In Visual Studio 2005
in the Web tab of Project properties there's a "Use Visual Studio
Development Server" setting with "Auto-assign Port" as the default, but you
can set the specific port. There's also a Web Site Administration Tool, but
this doesn't let you set the port. You can also run the server manually via
command-line (go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\
and run WebDev.WebServer2.exe /? for help)

2. I don't think it supports host headers -- not usually a big problem
considering it doesn't support serving requests to other machines.

-LZ

"NonNB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Apols for the post here, but there is no public.inetserver.cassini
>
> Is there a way to configure the cassini / ASP NET Development web
> server:
> 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?
> 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?
>
> I need to test some client side SOAP calls
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stuart

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?

To change the port from dynamic to fixed, click on the Project's name
( address for its source files ) in the Solution Explorer.

Then, go to the "Properties" dialog box on the bottom right.
Change the "Use dynamic port" dropdown to "False" and set whatever port you want to set.

From that point on the port won't be random.
The server will use whatever pot you configured it to use.

re:
> 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?

You can't do that unless you run your app under IIS.

You must publish your website to localhost if you want
to use a different hostname or your machine's name.

re:
>cassini

Don't call it that. Call it the "ASP.NET Development Web Server" or the "VS internal web server".
Although it's based on Cassini's source, it does a lot more than Cassini ever did.

Btw, if you're using the .Net Framework 1.1, and not 2.0,
you might want to take a look at CassiniEx :

http://www.systemex.net/CassiniEx/

It's a development server based on Cassini, much modified,
which allows multiple host headers and ports for the applications it runs.

Take a couple of minutes to check out its readme file :
http://www.systemex.net/CassiniEx/README.txt

You can also download its source if you want to play with its features.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================

"NonNB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Apols for the post here, but there is no public.inetserver.cassini
>
> Is there a way to configure the cassini / ASP NET Development web
> server:
> 1) So that the port can be pegged (seems to be random)?
> 2) So that can access the server using hostname other than localhost?
>
> I need to test some client side SOAP calls
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Stuart

NonNB

Thanks for all the info & advice!