Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Page and Parent property of custom server control

Page and Parent property of custom server control

Charles Zhang

I created a custom server control that derives from WebControl. I found
Parent and Page property are null for the control I created. But Parent
is a readonly property so that I have no way to assign it a proper value.

By the way, I did no create a constructor for my custom control. I did
not override OnInit() method as well.

Could some one point out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Charles Zhang

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Charles,

When a control is not added to another control's Controls collection, the
Parent property is null. Also, the Page property is implemented as:

public virtual Page get_Page()
{
if ((this._page == null) && (this.Parent != null))
{
this._page = this.Parent.Page;
}
return this._page;
}

So for your question, this depends on where and when you access the Parent
and Page property. Normally when your control has been added to the Page's
control tree, the Parent and Page property can be used.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.