Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to Configure new cisco device with no serial port Laptop

How to Configure new cisco device with no serial port Laptop

chairuou

Hi all,

This is my first post here.

Do you have any expriences how to connect to a cisco device ( switch/
router ) from a laptop without serial port ? As you know, lot of modern
laptop only have LPT, USB, Ethernet but ... no serial interface. I
have tried some converter for USB-to-Serial convert but it isn't work,
and Hyper Terminal also didn't recognize to work with LPT/USB interface
too. I also thinking about use Aux and dialin to do configuration, this
method is doable with router but with Switch, we can't do this. So I am
looking for a solution to solve this case, please share your
expriences/idea.

Thanks and regards,

Iggy

I'm using D-Link USB-Serial converter and it works just fine all the time
with the HyperTerminal... It has been detected by Windows XP and HT as a
standard com port...

B.R.
Igor

"chairuou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post here.
>
> Do you have any expriences how to connect to a cisco device ( switch/
> router ) from a laptop without serial port ? As you know, lot of modern
> laptop only have LPT, USB, Ethernet but ... no serial interface. I
> have tried some converter for USB-to-Serial convert but it isn't work,
> and Hyper Terminal also didn't recognize to work with LPT/USB interface
> too. I also thinking about use Aux and dialin to do configuration, this
> method is doable with router but with Switch, we can't do this. So I am
> looking for a solution to solve this case, please share your
> expriences/idea.
>
> Thanks and regards,

chairuou

Iggy wrote:
> I'm using D-Link USB-Serial converter and it works just fine all the

time
> with the HyperTerminal... It has been detected by Windows XP and HT

as a
> standard com port...

kewl... I will buy one, thanks !