Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > IIS restart takes ours

Reply
Thread Tools

IIS restart takes ours

 
 
wwwmike@gmx.ch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2006
Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
when IIS6 kills itself.

My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
which restarts the whole site.

The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
is considerable slow.

The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
flags and checkboxes here and there

1) Is my hosting company fooling me?

2) Is there a way to speed up this process?

3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
a windows 2003 server?

Thanks for helping.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
> when IIS6 kills itself.
>
> My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
> which restarts the whole site.
>
> The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
> hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
> and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
> security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
> is considerable slow.
>
> The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
> flags and checkboxes here and there
>
> 1) Is my hosting company fooling me?


Probably not, although they could reduce the problem by putting less people
on a server, but that would cut their profit. If they are cheap, it is
likely they are running on low profit already.

> 2) Is there a way to speed up this process?


Possibly, but the fact that they have overloaded the server makes it
difficult, even under IIS 6.0. Different app pools, for example, might work,
but I am not fully convinced it will and it WILL make a maintenance
nightmare for them.

> 3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
> a windows 2003 server?


I would not think 4-6 hours, but the server being overloaded can sure hurt
things.

To me, it sounds like you have outgrown this particular package and possibly
this provider.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

*************************************************
Think Outside the Box!
*************************************************


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Liz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2006

200,000 files on a shared server ? why haven't they gotten rid of you ?

you haven't said what's in thoese files but perhaps you can migrate those
into SQL Server if it's available .. obviously you will have to re-code ..

it really kind of sounds like your architecture is not right or you need to
migrate to a dedicated box ... this wouldn't be one of those $4.95/month
plans, would it ?

L


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
> when IIS6 kills itself.
>
> My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
> which restarts the whole site.
>
> The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
> hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
> and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
> security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
> is considerable slow.
>
> The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
> flags and checkboxes here and there
>
> 1) Is my hosting company fooling me?
>
> 2) Is there a way to speed up this process?
>
> 3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
> a windows 2003 server?
>
> Thanks for helping.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
wwwmike@gmx.ch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-07-2006
When I contaced my hoster and told him I am going to switch, the site
was online in minutes! ...after 12 hours....

Acutally I pay a 100US a month, so its not a 9.95 solution at all. I
must say, that I pay more with increasing storage consumption.

I am thinking moving to ServerIntellect and go for their 249USD/month
solution.

That is more than doulbe what I pay right now, but at the end I need a
dedicated server anyway.

Thanks for helping...




Liz wrote:
> 200,000 files on a shared server ? why haven't they gotten rid of you ?
>
> you haven't said what's in thoese files but perhaps you can migrate those
> into SQL Server if it's available .. obviously you will have to re-code ..
>
> it really kind of sounds like your architecture is not right or you need to
> migrate to a dedicated box ... this wouldn't be one of those $4.95/month
> plans, would it ?
>
> L
>
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > Once a while my server is showing my the "Service Unavailable" page
> > when IIS6 kills itself.
> >
> > My shared hosting at allows me to click on an "Update Website" button
> > which restarts the whole site.
> >
> > The process to restart my page takes between 4 to over 6 hours! My
> > hoster told me that I have about 200,000 files in a directory folder
> > and when the site restarts, windows loops trough each file to set
> > security properties (NTFS). The whole thing is on a shared server so it
> > is considerable slow.
> >
> > The hoster told me they can DO NOTHING at all. Not even switch some
> > flags and checkboxes here and there
> >
> > 1) Is my hosting company fooling me?
> >
> > 2) Is there a way to speed up this process?
> >
> > 3) How much time does it take to restart a site with 200,000 files for
> > a windows 2003 server?
> >
> > Thanks for helping.
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my internet connection is becomming very slow randomali every 4 or 2 ours for an hour or such E.D.I Computer Support 0 08-19-2007 08:41 PM
TelstraClear adsl, their end or ours? Nik Coughlin NZ Computing 9 07-05-2007 07:14 AM
If you hate your boss, you'll probably love ours! wealthy831@yahoo.com NZ Computing 5 08-17-2006 11:32 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: WHERE THE TRUTH LIES, YOURS, MINE AND OURS (2005), and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-28-2006 10:08 AM
This naughty language of ours violates hallowed Structure Programming sophistries Phlip Ruby 8 08-22-2004 04:38 PM



Advertisments