Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > ospf and isdn backup

ospf and isdn backup

Laurent

Hi !

I have a question about a problem i have :

first, a small ascii drawing :

, more than 60 routers
|via a single interf. dialer and dialer maps

| |
| |
|....3640-(Pri)...isdn... |
192.168.254.0 | (.1) \Bri0 | 175.144.0.0
LAN | |1600.....| LAN
| (.3) Ser0 |
|....1600-Ser0....LL...../ |
| |

The 3640 router is the default gateway for the 192.168.254 lan, and all
IPs and routes are statics.
I have to backup the leased line between the two 1600 routers with an
isdn backup. I thought it could be possible to use one of the B channel
of the PRI interface on the 3640 router.

I guess i can't do this without implementing first ospf.
Well, but i don't want to implement ospf for all the 60 distants sites
wich i reach via the PRI interface...

I don't know very well ospf
So... is it possible to implement ospf only for the links i need ?
Will i have to modify a lot of things ?

thanks...
Laurent.

Merv

You can use any dynamic routing protocol to accomlish this - OSPF,
EIGRP or RIP

you only have to run the dynamic routing protocol on the leased line
between the two 1600's and you can use ISDN dial backup ( look at the
IOS dialer watch feature) to be trigger by the 1600 that has the ISDN
BRI interface. Thetrigger would be losing a route from the 1600 on the
left in your diagram

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You can use any dynamic routing protocol to accomlish this - OSPF,
>EIGRP or RIP
>
>you only have to run the dynamic routing protocol on the leased line
>between the two 1600's and you can use ISDN dial backup ( look at the
>IOS dialer watch feature) to be trigger by the 1600 that has the ISDN
>BRI interface. Thetrigger would be losing a route from the 1600 on the
>left in your diagram

If the leased line is point to point (or you configure end-to-end
keepalives if frame relay), you don't need to run a routing protocol
at all. Just use dial on demand with a floating static route. You
could even use "backup interface" but that makes ISDN testing much
more difficult.

Good luck and have fun!
http://www.networkingunlimited.com

OSPF and ISDN backup NetWorkMan Cisco 4 11-12-2008 08:32 PM
OSPF & ISDN Backup Problems NetWorkMan Cisco 4 10-15-2007 08:51 PM
OSPF and ISDN Backup NetWorkMan Cisco 6 10-14-2007 07:57 PM
pc with isdn modem not connecte isdn 1841 router with isdn module sync Cisco 0 06-05-2007 10:10 AM
ISDN Backup for OSPF Darren Green Cisco 2 10-20-2005 01:02 PM

Advertisments