Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio 2005 html-view does not recognize the generated html-tag of a custom control

Visual Studio 2005 html-view does not recognize the generated html-tag of a custom control

Rolf Welskes

Hello,
this is a hint only.

If you make a custom control for example witch generates code

and I put such a control in a page
then in html-view of the aspx-file
I could write

<c01:MyControl/>

generated I have:

this is bad because I have a block-element (div) in a paragraph what seem
not to be good.

But when I am in VS html view and would write

If I take my control the error-systems does know nothing about the tag which
is generated from the control,

I think this problem also occures when I use ready to use controls
for example <p><asp:mytable> ....

I think in the next version of VS the VS-System should also see which tags
are generated from the control to
give error-hints to generate well formed html.

Remark: I work with Web-Projects, not with Visual Web Designer, so I have no
Validation of the html.

Thank you for recognize this problem for a better VS in the future.
Rolf Welskes

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

It is against the rules of strict XHTML, which is why you are getting
warnings. They are warnings, not errors. This does not mean you should not
clean them up, but they are not going to blow things up.

But, if you are outputting a <DIV>, you have no clue someone placed it in a
up the "rules" for other developers, but they will ultimately have to follow
them. The only thing you can do is drop the <DIV>, but that likely blows up
your code, so you are back to living with what it does or having someone
clean up the tags in the ASPX page.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!
"Rolf Welskes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> this is a hint only.
>
> If you make a custom control for example witch generates code

> and I put such a control in a page
> then in html-view of the aspx-file
> I could write

> <c01:MyControl/>
>
> generated I have:

> this is bad because I have a block-element (div) in a paragraph what seem
> not to be good.
>
> But when I am in VS html view and would write
>
> If I take my control the error-systems does know nothing about the tag
> which is generated from the control,
>
> I think this problem also occures when I use ready to use controls
> for example <p><asp:mytable> ....
>
> I think in the next version of VS the VS-System should also see which tags
> are generated from the control to
> give error-hints to generate well formed html.
>
> Remark: I work with Web-Projects, not with Visual Web Designer, so I have
> no Validation of the html.
>
> Thank you for recognize this problem for a better VS in the future.
> Rolf Welskes

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Rolf,

From your description, I understand that you wish the IDE would take the
custom control's generated html into account when validating the webform
source at design time.

Thank you for letting us know your suggestion. I strongly encourage you to
submit your feedback at
http://connect.microsoft.com/Main/co...ContentID=2220 which
is monitored by our product team directly.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Rolf Welskes