Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > asp.net 1.1 error

asp.net 1.1 error

Hi all,

I have a very weird error going on in an asp.net page that has usercontrols.
If I set debug="false" in the web.config file, the page throws an error:-

System.Web.HttpException: External component has thrown an exception. --->
System.Web.HttpCompileException: External component has thrown an exception.
at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.ThrowIfCompile rErrors(CompilerResults
results, CodeDomProvider codeProvider, CodeCompileUnit sourceData, String
sourceFile, String sourceString) at
System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledTyp e() at
System.Web.UI.PageParser.CompileIntoType() at
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemThr oughCompilation() --- End
of inner exception stack trace --- at
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInt ernal(Boolean
fCreateIfNotFound) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() at
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetP arserCacheItem(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledIns tance(String virtualPath,
String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceIn ternal(String virtualPath,
String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpCo ntext context, String
requestType, String url, String path) at
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpCont ext context, String
requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) at
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Http Application+IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean&
completedSynchronously)

If I set debug="true", then everything works fine. What could be causing
this? It just started happening...

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Param,

You may try following things to see if it helps:

1) do a "iisreset" when you changed the debug setting
2) clean the "temporary asp.net files" in
%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\<version>

Is visiting any page will throw the exception? even an empty page?

Is it reproducible? i.e. deploying on other web site also has this problem.

At last, I would suggest you use "divide and conquer" stragety to track
down the root cause: remove some files at a time; comment out the config in
web.config at a time.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

This issue is now reproducible in Development as well.

Here is what is going on. I have 2 .ascx usercontrols. Both are called
app_tabs.ascx. However, they are in 2 seperate folders.

c:\mysite\usercontrols\app_tabs.ascx
c:\mysite\usercontrols\new\app_tabs.ascx

Now, I use these usercontrols in different pages. The page that has the 2nd
usercontrol throws this exception:-

Compilation Error
to service this request. Please review the following specific error details
and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: BC30560: 'app_tabs_ascx' is ambiguous in the
namespace '_ASP'.

Source Error:

Line 127:<sta:titlebar id="statitlebar" runat="server"/>
Line 128:<sta:toolbar id="statoolbar" runat="server"/>
Line 129:<sta:dealerone_apptabs id="statabs" runat="server"/>
Line 130:<br>
Line 131:

If I set debug=true in web.config, this error goes away.....

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Param,
>
> You may try following things to see if it helps:
>
> 1) do a "iisreset" when you changed the debug setting
> 2) clean the "temporary asp.net files" in
> %windir%\microsoft.net\framework\<version>
>
> Is visiting any page will throw the exception? even an empty page?
>
> Is it reproducible? i.e. deploying on other web site also has this
> problem.
>
> At last, I would suggest you use "divide and conquer" stragety to track
> down the root cause: remove some files at a time; comment out the config
> in
> web.config at a time.
>
> Sincerely,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> ications. If you are using Outlook Express, please make sure you clear the
> check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to see your
> reply
> promptly.

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Param,

Which version of ASP.NET are you using? Are you using Web Application
Project add-in in VS2005?

I've tested using Web Site in VS2005 and didn't reproduce the issue if I
have two same named UserControl in different folders.

Would you please create a reproducible project and send it to me? Thank you.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

..Net 1.1 using Asp.Net Web Matrix.

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Param,
>
> Which version of ASP.NET are you using? Are you using Web Application
> Project add-in in VS2005?
>
> I've tested using Web Site in VS2005 and didn't reproduce the issue if I
> have two same named UserControl in different folders.
>
> Would you please create a reproducible project and send it to me? Thank
> you.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Param,

I've also tried using Visual Studio 2003, it doesn't have the problem too.
So it seems this issue only exists in ASP.NET Web Matrix.

ASP.NET Web Matrix as provided as the free development program for earlier
versions of ASP.NET. For today's ASP.NET version 2.0, the free and
easy-to-use development program is Visual Web Developer Express
(http://www.asp.net/downloads/getvwd/...aspx?tabid=62).

ASP.NET Web Matrix is not a supported product by Microsoft Product Support
Services (http://asp.net/webmatrix/faq.aspx).

If you're learning ASP.NET, I would highly suggest you use the free Visual
Web Developer Express.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

These web apps are in production and have been running since 2003. When you
tried VS2003 did you run the site of a Windows Server 2003 box with .net 1.1
on it?

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Param,
>
> I've also tried using Visual Studio 2003, it doesn't have the problem too.
> So it seems this issue only exists in ASP.NET Web Matrix.
>
> ASP.NET Web Matrix as provided as the free development program for earlier
> versions of ASP.NET. For today's ASP.NET version 2.0, the free and
> easy-to-use development program is Visual Web Developer Express
> (http://www.asp.net/downloads/getvwd/...aspx?tabid=62).
>
> ASP.NET Web Matrix is not a supported product by Microsoft Product Support
> Services (http://asp.net/webmatrix/faq.aspx).
>
> If you're learning ASP.NET, I would highly suggest you use the free Visual
> Web Developer Express.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Param,

Thanks for the update. I will do a test again. Before that, I want to make
sure we have the same understanding of the issue. My understanding is:
using two UserControls that with same name but exist in different folder,
will cause ambiguous class name in the namespace "_ASP" when in debug mode.
This issue can be reproduced on a Windows Server 2003 with ASP.NET 1.1,
right?

I'll get back to you as soon as I get the result. Thank you for your
patience.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Yes that is correct.

Windows Server Web 2003 w/ SP1 - fully patched. Running both .net 1.1 and
..net 2.0. The website runs under .net 1.1. Its got its own App Pool
configured... site runs over SSL...

TIA!

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Param,
>
> Thanks for the update. I will do a test again. Before that, I want to make
> sure we have the same understanding of the issue. My understanding is:
> using two UserControls that with same name but exist in different folder,
> will cause ambiguous class name in the namespace "_ASP" when in debug
> mode. t
> This issue can be reproduced on a Windows Server 2003 with ASP.NET 1.1,
> right?
>
> I'll get back to you as soon as I get the result. Thank you for your
> patience.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Param,

I've done test using following environment and steps:

1) On a Windows Server 2003 SP1 that have both .NET 1.1 and 2.0 installed,
create a new virtual directory and configured to use ASP.NET 1.1.4322
2) Create a new AppPool and configure the virtual directory to use this
AppPool
3) Create two simple UserControls that with same name but in different
folders, and create two webforms to use them accordingly; the first webform
has a link to navigate to the second webform
4) Make sure 'debug="false"' is set in web.config
5) Setup SSL
6) Visit https://localhost/WebApplication1/WebForm1.aspx, and navigate to
Webform2.aspx, which works correctly.

I think using a simple web application will not reproduce the issue. I'm
afraid we must use a reproducible project from you to find the root cause.
Thank you for your effort.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support