Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Setting up NTP in home lab

Setting up NTP in home lab

darrtech@yahoo.com

Hey guys, here's the scenario:

I'm using my laptop as a NTP server IP 10.10.10.25. Everything connects
to a L2\L3 3550 trunked IP 10.10.10.35 VLAN1. without sacrificing a
dedicated interface on each router for time management how do I get the
routers to sync-up with the laptop using just a loopback int.

Objective: to automatically sync up the routers with the NTP server
every time I start my lab. Without dedicating an eth port for NTP.

Thanks

Merv

you could see if one of the routers or switches will behave as NTP
master in a backup role.

Determine the NTP of the pc and then configure the stratunm on the
router to be 1 less

ntp server <IP address of PC> ! assuming stratumn of 4 on PC
ntp master 6 ! this oruter will become NTP
master if there is no connectivity to PC

Merv

also see if router or switch in question supports command

ntp update calendar

darrtech@yahoo.com

Merv wrote:
> also see if router or switch in question supports command
>
> ntp update calendar

Still I would have to dedicate a port on each router for connectivity
to the master. And this is what I don't want to do. I would like to
sync up the routers to a time source {PC or router master} with a
logical loopback interface. That way I don't lose a physical port to
maintain it.

Merv

Are the devices in your lab not interconnected ? will they not have IP
connectivity ?

NTP does not require dedicated interfaces - it simply transmits UDP
traffic using UDP port 123

James

If you enable ntp on your router, it automatically becomes a ntp
time-server.

Regards

I'm selling off my Cisco lab. If you're interested in getting a cert, need production/lab equip., check my link! joey024@aol.com Cisco 1 01-20-2008 11:13 PM
Lab Challenge 8 - OSPF lab 2 www.networking-forum.com Cisco 0 11-03-2005 04:13 AM
advice on setting up lab edsa MCSE 4 06-02-2005 01:59 AM
NTP update intervall setting for cat 3500xl / 3550 C Cant Cisco 2 04-27-2005 06:26 AM
ntp from ntp.org Scott Crabb Cisco 5 08-06-2004 09:30 PM

Advertisments