Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Internal Web Server, External DNS

Internal Web Server, External DNS

dnuckle

Ok so I have an internal webserver but the DNS we use is external. My
solution was to add an entry into the hosts files of the computers so
they would know not to access the internet to be able to find the
server. Does anyone else have solutions to this problem? Since port
translation won't work I am just wondering if there are also any other
viable configurations within the firewall. Its a PIX 506E. Thanks.

David

Chad Mahoney

dnuckle wrote:
> Ok so I have an internal webserver but the DNS we use is external. My
> solution was to add an entry into the hosts files of the computers so
> they would know not to access the internet to be able to find the
> server. Does anyone else have solutions to this problem? Since port
> translation won't work I am just wondering if there are also any other
> viable configurations within the firewall. Its a PIX 506E. Thanks.
>
> David

What version of software is the PIX running?

This should help DNS Doctoring

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...shtml#backinfo

Rod Dorman

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
dnuckle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ok so I have an internal webserver but the DNS we use is external. My
>solution was to add an entry into the hosts files of the computers so
>they would know not to access the internet to be able to find the
>server. Does anyone else have solutions to this problem?

One solution would be to take one of the machines gathering dust in
the store room and running a DNS server that knows how to do split
DNS.

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

dnuckle

I would honestly love to do that but it's for a client so that's not up
to me.