Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco WebVPN: have you used it?

Cisco WebVPN: have you used it?

phasmid123@gmail.com

Hi all,

Cisco states that their VPN concentrator 3000 can support 500
simultaneous WebVPN connections...have you seen the performance degrade
if more people use it?

Thanks!

Brian V

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Cisco states that their VPN concentrator 3000 can support 500
> simultaneous WebVPN connections...have you seen the performance degrade
> if more people use it?
>
> Thanks!

You are looking at the 3030 or larger to do 500 webvpn sessions, the smaller
ones do 50, 75 and 200. The numbers are fairly close, the throughputs and
right on the money. Are you looking at remote access VPN or a VPN for a
wireless DMZ or such? If remote access, what is your internet pipe? Thats
usually where the limitation lies. Here's the spec sheet.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...omparison.html

phasmid123@gmail.com

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. My company runs the 3030. We are already using
IPSEC VPN and thinking about rolling out WebVPN as a complement. Just a
bit worried if the performance will drop when we have say 100 users of
both type log on at the same time. Do you run it at your company? Have
you noticed anything? I know sometimes there's a big difference between
what the brochure says and reality. Thanks again.

John

Brian V wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Cisco states that their VPN concentrator 3000 can support 500
> > simultaneous WebVPN connections...have you seen the performance degrade
> > if more people use it?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> You are looking at the 3030 or larger to do 500 webvpn sessions, the smaller
> ones do 50, 75 and 200. The numbers are fairly close, the throughputs and
> right on the money. Are you looking at remote access VPN or a VPN for a
> wireless DMZ or such? If remote access, what is your internet pipe? Thats
> usually where the limitation lies. Here's the spec sheet.
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...omparison.html

Brian V

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Brian,
>
> Thanks for your reply. My company runs the 3030. We are already using
> IPSEC VPN and thinking about rolling out WebVPN as a complement. Just a
> bit worried if the performance will drop when we have say 100 users of
> both type log on at the same time. Do you run it at your company? Have
> you noticed anything? I know sometimes there's a big difference between
> what the brochure says and reality. Thanks again.
>
> John
>

> Brian V wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Cisco states that their VPN concentrator 3000 can support 500
>> > simultaneous WebVPN connections...have you seen the performance degrade
>> > if more people use it?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >

>> You are looking at the 3030 or larger to do 500 webvpn sessions, the
>> smaller
>> ones do 50, 75 and 200. The numbers are fairly close, the throughputs and
>> right on the money. Are you looking at remote access VPN or a VPN for a
>> wireless DMZ or such? If remote access, what is your internet pipe? Thats
>> usually where the limitation lies. Here's the spec sheet.
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...omparison.html

Hi John,

I work for a VAR, do 100's of them a year. Unless you have greater than a
50Mb internet pipe you are not going to even come close to maxing the box.
The 500user is a license limitation, not a performance limitation. The
numbers are pure fluff....it's throughput that kills a box. In reality if
you have that many users coming in via VPN you would want to think about
running dual boxes doing load balancing. Not from a performance standpoint,
but as a simple failover, if you have that many users relying on VPN you
sure don't want to have a single point of failure such as that.

-Brian