Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Telnet on a 2821

Telnet on a 2821

timbrigham@gmail.com

I recently purchased a few new Cisco 2821s, and I'm having a really
hard time setting up my telnet access. The standard "config terminal,
line vty 0 4, password my_password , login" described in my CCNA book
isn't doing the trick. I can ping to and through any of the ports that
I have assigned IP addresses, but I can't get in via telnet by either
ip address assigned, receiving
"Connecting To XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX ..Could not open connection to the host,
on port 23: Connect failed. " What do I need to do in order to get this
working?

Merv

try

config t
line vty 0 4
transport input telnet
transport output telnet
passsword <secret>
login
exit

wri mem

also see

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-ad...case=K45386163

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Merv wrote:
> try
>
> config t
> line vty 0 4
> transport input telnet
> transport output telnet
> passsword <secret>
> login
> exit
>
> wri mem
>

> also see
>
> http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-ad...case=K45386163

You also must have an enable password set before telnet
is permitted.

Obviously enable secret is preferred.

If you are still having difficulty post the config with passwords
removed and internet addresses fudged (say change the first octet).

Can you ping the addresses that you are trying to telnet to?

timbrigham@gmail.com

Here's the config changes I just applied, which are basically identical
to the original set up I had:

(config)#line vty 0 4
(config-line)#transport input telnet
(config-line)#transport output telnet
(config-line)#password <new password>
(config-line)#login
(config-line)#exit
#write memory

I do have an enable password set as well.

I would have loved to make changes on this earlier in the week, but
this turned into a production unit and I couldn't afford to mess
anything up.

Current configuration : 2619 bytes
!
version 12.4
service tcp-keepalives-in
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname <HOST>
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
logging buffered 51200 warnings
enable secret 5 <SECRET>
!
no aaa new-model
!
resource policy
!
ip subnet-zero
!
!
ip cef
!
!
ip domain name yourdomain.com
!
username sunbridge privilege 15 password 7 <PASSWORD>
!
!
!

<Fast Ethernet settings>
<VLAN settings>
<OSPF settings - not in active use, and I should remove>
<RIP settings>

ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.251.2
!
ip http server
ip http access-class 23
ip http authentication local
ip http timeout-policy idle 60 life 86400 requests 10000
!
access-list 23 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.7
!
control-plane
!
banner login ^C
<Banner>
!
line con 0
password 7 <Password>
login
transport preferred none
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
access-class 23 in
privilege level 15
password 7 <Password>
login
transport preferred none
transport input telnet
transport output telnet
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end

> Merv wrote:
> > try
> >
> > config t
> > line vty 0 4
> > transport input telnet
> > transport output telnet
> > passsword <secret>
> > login
> > exit
> >
> > wri mem
> >

> > also see
> >
> > http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-ad...case=K45386163

> You also must have an enable password set before telnet
> is permitted.
>
> Obviously enable secret is preferred.
>
> If you are still having difficulty post the config with passwords
> removed and internet addresses fudged (say change the first octet).
>
> Can you ping the addresses that you are trying to telnet to?

enigmamick enigmamick is offline
Junior Member

I had this problem, think it may be becuse we ordered the high security IOS
needed to add an access list to the vty lines. This is what I did but you could have a basic access list as well I think.

i.e

conf t
access-list 101 permit ip <IP Range or Host> <Inverse Subnet Mask> any
line vty 0 4
access-class 101 in

plus the normal password and login lines.

Telnet - attempting to initiate a telnet session within an established telnet session Carcarius Ruby 0 12-06-2007 03:26 AM
[Q] Hardware configurator for Cisco - e.g.2821 upgrades Papi Cisco 1 06-27-2005 08:19 PM
2821 Router Config RSI Cisco 1 05-21-2005 09:26 AM
Need to talk to a telnet server and send a telnet break Jim Isaacson C Programming 5 11-05-2004 09:17 PM
How can I telnet when I dont have specific access to a telnet client Jack B. Pollack Computer Support 4 07-24-2003 08:58 PM

Advertisments