Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 2924 XL Help

Reply
Thread Tools

Catalyst 2924 XL Help

 
 
ghartl@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2006
Hi all;

Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.

I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for
my home network.

I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as
well as hostname.

I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping
the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the
switch.

I'm sure i'm just missing something simple and I am over looking since
it has been so long since i've touched this switch.

Anyone with any suggestions would be fantastic.

cheers,


Gary

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
www.BradReese.Com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2006
Hi Gary,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Troubleshooting Common Issues on
the Catalyst 2900XL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80125913.shtml

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
http://www.BradReese.Com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug McIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.


>I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for
>my home network.


>I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as
>well as hostname.


>I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping
>the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the
>switch.


Is the switch port in shutdown state? What does a 'show int faste 0/1'
show? Up, down? Are the other ports you plug in in the same VLAN?

Is the switch defaulted, or some random config from before?

 
Reply With Quote
 
ajsingh007
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2006
Hi,

Is the PC connected to the same switch...if so is the ip address and
the mask in the same range as the ip address and subnet mask on the
switch.

What does it says when you do sh ip int br on the switch for that port
where the pc is connected???

-Aman
Doug McIntyre wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> >Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.

>
> >I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for
> >my home network.

>
> >I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as
> >well as hostname.

>
> >I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping
> >the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the
> >switch.

>
> Is the switch port in shutdown state? What does a 'show int faste 0/1'
> show? Up, down? Are the other ports you plug in in the same VLAN?
>
> Is the switch defaulted, or some random config from before?


 
Reply With Quote
 
ghartl@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2006
Well problem solved.

In my stupidity, I was using straight through cat5, when I needed
crossover as I was hooking the switch up to my cable/dsl router.

I guess once i make the move to my linux router i will migrate back to
straight thru.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

Gary

ajsingh007 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is the PC connected to the same switch...if so is the ip address and
> the mask in the same range as the ip address and subnet mask on the
> switch.
>
> What does it says when you do sh ip int br on the switch for that port
> where the pc is connected???
>
> -Aman
> Doug McIntyre wrote:
>
> > (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > >Well it has been a long time since i've been here....nice to be back.

> >
> > >I have an old catalyst 2924 xl switch that I am trying to configure for
> > >my home network.

> >
> > >I have run the basic setup and put in the ip, gateway and subnet as
> > >well as hostname.

> >
> > >I have a cat5 cable running into FasterEthernet 0/1 but I cannot ping
> > >the machine, much less ping the network or even my gateway from the
> > >switch.

> >
> > Is the switch port in shutdown state? What does a 'show int faste 0/1'
> > show? Up, down? Are the other ports you plug in in the same VLAN?
> >
> > Is the switch defaulted, or some random config from before?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connect Catalyst 2924 to Linksys Router GNY Cisco 11 06-26-2007 07:57 PM
Creating Subnets, DHCP Relay, Catalyst 6000, PIX, Catalyst 2948/2924 cruz@hnu.edu Cisco 3 02-09-2007 10:12 PM
Resetting a Catalyst 2924 XL Switch Outta Luck Cisco 8 11-10-2006 02:23 PM
Catalyst 2924 Switch - Bad Ports? PBS Cisco 8 03-30-2005 08:56 PM
Problem multicasting with catalyst 2924 Steeve Boulanger Cisco 1 12-06-2004 09:45 PM



Advertisments