Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > From 1720 to 1841

From 1720 to 1841

random.nick@gmail.com

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding migrating from a Cisco 1720,
which was configured to support VPN and firewall, using ADSL.

Now we would like to move to an Ethernet 10/10 connection.The provider
offers a Cisco 1841.

My questions:
a) Can I just export/import the config settings - as displayed, using
show run - from the old router to the new?

b) I want to keep the ADSL connection basically as a backup feed,
optimally as a backup feed, which is also used, but only until the
maximum allowed data transfer per month is not yet reached.

Can I reach this goal with the 1720 and 1841 or it would require a
different, single router, which is able to handle and bond together
both connections, monitor them for fail over if the 10/10 link is down
and keeping track how far can the ADSL link also be utilized as an
extra resource?

c) I also have a Cisco Pix available - does it have an advantage over
the firewall function in the 1841?

d) Is it possible to use maybe Snort for a real-time, dynamic update of
the Cisco firewall rules, in case an attack is detected?

Thank you for all the kind advice.

Regards,
Nick

ajsingh007

Hi Nick,

I am sure you could download the config from a 1720 nd upload on
1841.The only thing is the interfaces (if they are not same).

Cannot commet on snort but PIX would certainly be a good candidate for
firewalling than a Cisco router.

-Aman
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding migrating from a Cisco 1720,
> which was configured to support VPN and firewall, using ADSL.
>
> Now we would like to move to an Ethernet 10/10 connection.The provider
> offers a Cisco 1841.
>
> My questions:
> a) Can I just export/import the config settings - as displayed, using
> show run - from the old router to the new?
>
> b) I want to keep the ADSL connection basically as a backup feed,
> optimally as a backup feed, which is also used, but only until the
> maximum allowed data transfer per month is not yet reached.
>
> Can I reach this goal with the 1720 and 1841 or it would require a
> different, single router, which is able to handle and bond together
> both connections, monitor them for fail over if the 10/10 link is down
> and keeping track how far can the ADSL link also be utilized as an
> extra resource?
>
> c) I also have a Cisco Pix available - does it have an advantage over
> the firewall function in the 1841?
>
> d) Is it possible to use maybe Snort for a real-time, dynamic update of
> the Cisco firewall rules, in case an attack is detected?
>
> Thank you for all the kind advice.
>
> Regards,
> Nick

random.nick@gmail.com