Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Win2000/2003 server as ntp source

Win2000/2003 server as ntp source

Tosh

Sometimes I've got luck, sometimes not, I really don't know why.
I did read a microsoft paper that suggests to check a registry key, but this
key is always ok even on the servers that doesn't accept associations.
Anyone can point me to a good source of informations on how to configure a
win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices?
Tnx,
Tosh.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Tosh wrote:
> Sometimes I've got luck, sometimes not, I really don't know why.
> I did read a microsoft paper that suggests to check a registry key, but this
> key is always ok even on the servers that doesn't accept associations.
> Anyone can point me to a good source of informations on how to configure a
> win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices?

My understanding is:-

Win 2000 - need 3rd party software since their sntp is not compatible
with cisco ntp. Did not try configuring sntp on cisco which I
noticed a reference to recently.

I think that Win2003 ntp is ok.

On cisco all you need is

ntp server x.x.x.x

ntp server 130.88.203.64
ntp server 128.252.19.1

h#sh ntp ass

address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
disp
~130.88.203.64 0.0.0.0 16 - 64 0 0.0 0.00
16000.
*~128.252.19.1 .USNO. 1 41 64 377 119.6 -1.62
0.6
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured

Here one server is working OK and the other is not working at all.

Aaron Leonard

Roger that the Windows builtin (w32time) NTP service will not (usually)
successfully supply time to IOS NTP clients. (It will [generally] be able
to supply time to IOS SNTP clients.)

If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's
where to go:

http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt

Cheers,

Aaron

---

~ Tosh wrote:
~ > Sometimes I've got luck, sometimes not, I really don't know why.
~ > I did read a microsoft paper that suggests to check a registry key, but this
~ > key is always ok even on the servers that doesn't accept associations.
~ > Anyone can point me to a good source of informations on how to configure a
~ > win2000/2003 server as a ntp source for cisco devices?
~
~ My understanding is:-
~
~ Win 2000 - need 3rd party software since their sntp is not compatible
~ with cisco ntp. Did not try configuring sntp on cisco which I
~ noticed a reference to recently.
~
~ I think that Win2003 ntp is ok.
~
~ On cisco all you need is
~
~ ntp server x.x.x.x
~
~ ntp server 130.88.203.64
~ ntp server 128.252.19.1
~
~ h#sh ntp ass
~
~ address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
~ disp
~ ~130.88.203.64 0.0.0.0 16 - 64 0 0.0 0.00
~ 16000.
~ *~128.252.19.1 .USNO. 1 41 64 377 119.6 -1.62
~ 0.6
~ * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
~ configured
~
~ Here one server is working OK and the other is not working at all.

Tosh

> If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's
> where to go:
>
> http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt

I've got time just now to install the above ntp server and it works, thanks
a lot Aaron.
Now the big question is, since this application disables w32time on the win
server, do I have to expect some kind of troubles on the windows clients?
Tnx again,
Tosh.

Aaron Leonard

~ > If you need a GOOD NTP implementation for Windows, it looks like here's
~ > where to go:
~ >
~ > http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_nt
~ >
~
~ I've got time just now to install the above ntp server and it works, thanks
~ a lot Aaron.
~ Now the big question is, since this application disables w32time on the win
~ server, do I have to expect some kind of troubles on the windows clients?
~ Tnx again,
~ Tosh.
~

Well, I guess you *COULD* have a problem with your Windows clients. w32time,
as I recall it, is capable of providing time both via NTP and via some
Windows proprietary method. If you want it to do the latter but not the
former, then you should be able to configure it for that (and thus have w32time
coexist with your new GOOD NTP server.)

Alternatively, you could just set up your windows clients to get their time via
NTP. This can be done by reconfiguring w32time as an NTP client on *them* or
by adding an NTP implementation to them (the full blown one above, or just a
client side one (like NTPtime, http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/ntptime.html).

Cheers,

Aaron

Problem with NTP Server Ranga Cisco 7 04-26-2006 06:20 PM
NTP on a router picking up a bogus server John Caruso Cisco 5 11-26-2005 04:58 PM
Synchronize to a Win2K NTP server Choowie Cisco 1 04-19-2005 12:04 PM
ntp from ntp.org Scott Crabb Cisco 5 08-06-2004 09:30 PM
Cisco Router as a NTP Server Jim Williams Cisco 3 12-18-2003 08:19 AM

Advertisments