Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Maximum throughput of 3,640?

Maximum throughput of 3,640?

Joop van der Velden

Yehavi Bourvine (58-4279) wrote:

> I have a Cisco-3,640 with dual FastEthernet card. It does routing between the
> two interfaces, and I've found that at 50Mb/sec the CPU usage is 100% (most of
> it in interrupt mode). I've enabled CEF and IP ROUTE-CACHE, removed the access
> lists but it still the same bottleneck. Is this the maximum that this router
> can get to?

Yep. See for example:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765...erformance.pdf

--
Joop van der Velden - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Yehavi Bourvine

Hello,

I have a Cisco-3,640 with dual FastEthernet card. It does routing between the
two interfaces, and I've found that at 50Mb/sec the CPU usage is 100% (most of
it in interrupt mode). I've enabled CEF and IP ROUTE-CACHE, removed the access
lists but it still the same bottleneck. Is this the maximum that this router
can get to?

Thanks, __Yehavi:

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Joop van der Velden wrote:
> Yehavi Bourvine (58-4279) wrote:
>
> > I have a Cisco-3,640 with dual FastEthernet card. It does routing between the
> > two interfaces, and I've found that at 50Mb/sec the CPU usage is 100% (most of
> > it in interrupt mode). I've enabled CEF and IP ROUTE-CACHE, removed the access
> > lists but it still the same bottleneck. Is this the maximum that this router
> > can get to?

> Yep. See for example:
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765...erformance.pdf

Above is an excellent document.

How much is not at interrupt level?

Check that you are not doing unnecesary local routing.
i.e. maybe allow ICMP Redirects.

On a hard pressed router make sure that it is not getting hit
with a lot of broadcasts. For many purposes you can filter
all IP broadcasts with an ACL (maybe you need to allow DHCP).

access-list might be

permit dhcp (don't know exact command right now)
deny ip any host 255.255.255.255
deny in any host x.x.z.255 ! x.y.z for local subnet
permit ip any any

Might be worth trying CEF and plain fast switching.

conf t

! for CEF

ip cef ! or os if just cef?

int fast x
ip router-cache cef
! repeat for all interfaces

! for fast switching

conf t
no ip cef

int fast x
no ip route-cache cef
ip route-cache
! repeat for all interfaces

I know that some people assume that CEF is best but
if it were me I would check.

As mentioned by me a few minutes ago in another thread
try to get rid of buffer allocations and frees.

If you like post
sh buffers

I now do not hesitate to increase buffers manually to prevent
misses and failures provided that there is SUFFICIENT
MEMORY if I suspect that a router is under any kind of stress
and shows significant misses or failures.

3640 is not a fast router by current standards.
>From the posted link

50,000 - 70,000pps 25.6 - 36Mbps

These are very conservative numbers since Cisco assume
64byte packets and to get 200Mbps
(i.e. Full Duplex 100M) you will need an average packet size of

(200,000,000//50,000 bytes = 500 bytes