Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Network Troubleshooting

Network Troubleshooting

Bruce

I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
latency, bandwidth or something else network related.

I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.

I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.

Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
Network Analyst
City of Columbia

BernieM

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
> telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
> app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
> building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
> if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
> disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
> issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
> would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
> latency, bandwidth or something else network related.
>
> I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
> waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
> determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.
>
> I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
> learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
> discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.
>
> Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
> Network Analyst
> City of Columbia

what's the topology?

thcollicutt@gov.pe.ca

BernieM wrote:
> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I run into the problem of a database admin for a Web based system
> > telling me that people in (pick a building) are having issues with the
> > app being slow, and since he can access the application from our
> > building (Where the server resides for this app) very fast, he wonders
> > if it may be a bandwidth issue. I have very limited tools at my
> > disposal such as PRTG and Whats Up Pro. I don't see any bandwidth
> > issues, and point that out. I am not real hip on passing the buck, and
> > would prefer to be able to know conclusively is it something todo with
> > latency, bandwidth or something else network related.
> >
> > I am looking at something like the ethereal school, but don't want to
> > waste money on learning the wrong skill, and still not know how to
> > determine the cause of a problem like this, when one exists.
> >
> > I would appreciate any and all commends to recommend a topic to study,
> > learn, course, software, school etc that would be the correct
> > discipline to learn how to troubleshoot this scenario.
> >
> > Bruce D. Meyer, CCNA, MCSE
> > Network Analyst
> > City of Columbia
> >

> what's the topology?

I've been there before, as have probably half the people here. I've
tried explaining results of a sniffer trace and have seen the old "deer
in the headlights" stare. Once the server or application admin gets
past what they understand easily, all they hear is that it is something
with the network.

I have found the best thing to do after I get the network out of the
picture as the problem is to run iPerf. Put the server part on a
windows machine near the server, or on the server if it is Windows.
Run the client from a laptop near where things are slow. If you get
about 75 Mbps between the server and the clent parts, tell them that
there is a lot of free bandwidth.

In my exerience saying, "I've looked at the sniffer traces and the
delays in the responses to queries are much longer than the time needed
to see an acknowledgement packet, therefore it seems likely to be an
application problem" gets you nowhere. Saying, "Look, there's 75 Megs
of bandwidth to your server from here" will get an acknowledgement that
it might not be the network and a thank you for checking it out.

You have to make sure that you've checked things out though. If you
know it's not a bandwidth issue it is a helpful tool and gives people
something they can understand. If you haven't ruled it out, it is just
a bluff. You'll be found out if you use it too often.

Network Troubleshooting Bruce Cisco 2 10-30-2006 08:08 PM
Assistance in troubleshooting CBAC for remote desktop access to office network brickwalls19 Cisco 2 10-05-2006 04:13 AM
Help: network troubleshooting? Pleb Plebian NZ Computing 0 10-21-2004 05:55 AM
Troubleshooting a Network problem jack_lavish Computer Support 1 09-23-2004 11:18 PM
Re: Home network troubleshooting jonjo Wireless Networking 0 07-06-2004 08:51 AM

Advertisments