Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Bridging Ethernet and WLAN with a Cisco 877W

Bridging Ethernet and WLAN with a Cisco 877W

Matthias Scheler

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a Cisco 877W to have big LAN which includes
the ethernet ports and the 802.11g interface. As a first I enabled
"bridge irb" and assigned VLAN 1 to the bridge:

bridge irb
[...]
interface Vlan1
no ip address
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
[...]
interface BVI1
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

That broke network connectivity to the box completely until I used
this command:

bridge 1 route ip

The next thing I tried was getting IPv6 working:

interface BVI1
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
ipv6 address abcd:1234:5678::2/64
ipv6 enable

IPv6 connectivity does however not work with this configuration. The
obvious fix is of course to use "bridge 1 route ipv6". But although that
command seems to exist(*) my Cisco doesn't accept it. Both IPv4 and IPv6
work fine if I assign the IP addresses to "Vlan1".

Any ideas how get this setup working?

Kind regards

(*) http://www.ipv6.wanadoo.fr/BB2/viewt...89e1d1120a292e

--
Matthias Scheler http://zhadum.org.uk/

AN

Hello,

I am also working on the same problem but I want to take it a step further.
Not only do I want to bridge my LAN and wireless into one broadcast domain
(Vlan) but I want to partition my wireless into more than one ( at least 2)
wireless vlans so I can set up a guest ssid and keep it logically separate
from my private ssid. I've been search documentation online and all of it
that's available online (google) have given information on how to divide the
wireless domain into separate vlans on a dedicated Access point (ie. Cisco
Aironet 1200 ) while I'm working with a ISR (Integrated Services Router)
Cisco device (Cisco 871) which is a router, access point and built-in 4 port
switch.

So in the end, I don't know how to do you're trying to do but I ask that when
you do find out or if anyone out there knows how please let me know.

Thanks,

Adil

On 10/29/2006 4:05:13 PM, wrote:
> Hello,
>
>I'm trying to configure a Cisco 877W to have big LAN which includes
>the ethernet ports and the 802.11g interface. As a first I enabled
>"bridge irb" and assigned VLAN 1 to the bridge:
>
>bridge irb
>[...]
>interface Vlan1
> no ip address
> bridge-group 1
> bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
>[...]
>interface BVI1
> ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
>
>That broke network connectivity to the box completely until I used
>this command:
>
>bridge 1 route ip
>
>The next thing I tried was getting IPv6 working:
>
>interface BVI1
> ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
> ipv6 address abcd:1234:5678::2/64
> ipv6 enable
>
>IPv6 connectivity does however not work with this configuration. The
>obvious fix is of course to use "bridge 1 route ipv6". But although that
>command seems to exist(*) my Cisco doesn't accept it. Both IPv4 and IPv6
>work fine if I assign the IP addresses to "Vlan1".
>
>Any ideas how get this setup working?
>
> Kind regards
>
>(*) http://www.ipv6.wanadoo.fr/BB2/viewt...89e1d1120a292e

Aaron Leonard

In re the o.p.'s posting:

IPv6 over wireless IRB doesn't work yet. CSCej50923.

In re Adil's desire: configure multiple SSIDs/VLANs on the AP1200. Connect the
AP's LAN interface to a FastEthernet on you ISR which is configured for dot1q
trunking. Then you can configure the VLANs on the ISR as desired.

Aaron

---

~ Hello,
~
[...]
~ On 10/29/2006 4:05:13 PM, wrote:
~ > Hello,
~ >
~ >I'm trying to configure a Cisco 877W to have big LAN which includes
~ >the ethernet ports and the 802.11g interface. As a first I enabled
~ >"bridge irb" and assigned VLAN 1 to the bridge:
~ >
~ >bridge irb
~ >[...]

On 11/13/2006 5:07:52 PM, Aaron Leonard wrote:
> [...]
>~ >That broke network connectivity to the box completely until I used
>~ >this command:
>~ >
>~ >bridge 1 route ip
>~ >
>~ >The next thing I tried was getting IPv6 working:
>~ >
>~ >interface BVI1
>~ > ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
>~ > ipv6 address abcd:1234:5678::2/64
>~ > ipv6 enable
>~ >
>~ >IPv6 connectivity does however not work with this configuration. The
>~ >obvious fix is of course to use "bridge 1 route ipv6". But although that
>~ >command seems to exist(*) my Cisco doesn't accept it. Both IPv4 and IPv6
>~ >work fine if I assign the IP addresses to "Vlan1".
>~ >
>~ >Any ideas how get this setup working?

I'm not connecting a dedicated AP to my ISR. I want to configure wireless
VLAN's on the ISR.

LAn and Wlan Bridging mbatiri Hardware 1 05-11-2010 07:34 PM
LAn and Wlan Bridging mbatiri Wireless Networking 0 05-10-2010 08:46 AM
Bridging with a Cisco 877W Matthias Scheler Cisco 2 12-21-2006 08:53 PM
Bridging Wireless and Ethernet subnets Eddy Borg Wireless Networking 3 11-16-2004 02:48 PM