Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Configuring Catalyst 3750

Configuring Catalyst 3750

KTosser@gmail.com

I am configuring a 3750 stack to act as our core switches. These
switches are going to connect several hubs and a few servers. The
issue I am running into is the workstations attached to the hubs could
be from one of two subnets. 192.168.1.0/34 or 192.168.2.0/24. This is
a layer 3 switch so it can easily handle routing packets from one to
the other. However i am not sure how to configure the switch to do
this when either could be coming in on the same port. It would be a
night mare to try and separate out the workstations and printers to
different hubs. And until I can re-subnet I am stuck with the mess I
have. I am new to configuring Cisco equipment, but I am willing to
learn. The only solution I have come up with is to configure Vlan 1 on
the switch with the address 192.168.1.1/16 and enable rip2 so it routes
192.168.0.0 to vlan1. This would include both subnets and they can
communicate. My main concern is about the amount of devices; both
subnets together have about 300 devices.

With the switch configured this way will it increase the amount of
broadcasts?
Is this the best solution?
Am I missing a way to configure the ports to handle packets from
multiple subnets?

Thanks for any help

Helge Olav Helgesen

Hello http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),

> This is a layer 3 switch so it can easily handle routing packets from
> one to the other. However i am not sure how to configure the switch to
> do this when either could be coming in on the same port.

use a secondary IP address on the interface or vlan that the port is connected
to.
---
Helge Olav Helgesen
http://www.helge.net

factbased

You can have everything in the same vlan. Configure a gateway ip
address from each subnet on the vlan interface, one normal and one with
the "secondary" keyword after the netmask. The switch will have
"connected" routes to both subnets and will be able to route between
the subnets in the vlan by default.